Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Match Results Alarm Idea

At a match that I was shooting at over the weekend I overheard some shooters talking about how they kept obsessively checking the website to see if the match results were up. So I came up with an idea to notify shooters the moment the results were up. (E-mail does something like this but then people would then just keep obsessively checking their e-mail.)

Here is my Results Alarm - http://www.logansferry.com/ipsc.htm (Just look under the "Match Results" header for the button and a brief explanation of it.

(I'm scorekeeper and webmaster BTW)

It's a simple concept really.

After the match, the shooter will hit the Results Alarm button. This will open up a pop up window that will keep updating itself every 60 seconds. When I'm done with the match results and I've posted them- I just substitute the refreshing pop up for one that makes an announcement that the results are done. The new pop-up will make all kind of racket until it is closed. So unless the shooter has his speakers turned off - he will hear the announcement.

What do you think of my new little invention?

Interesting, but is it neccesary? I am the stats guy for our club and I save the results to HTML format after the match is over, when I get home I upload them to the web. It takes me less than 10 minutes to do all this. The stats are up before most people get home. I don't understand what the big deal about getting stats posted is. If you understand how to use Winscore and you can post to the web getting the results posted the same day should be a piece of cake.

The pop up IS cool though

Some shooters want the results the moment they come out and having a pop up window that tells them when they do might make life simpler for them.

I tried doing the results at the club as they came in and it just ended up being a hassle. I usually don't end up leaving the club til about 3-5pm. It takes me an hour to drive home. Then it takes me up to 4 hours to do the results. Basically when I do the results, they could come out any time between 6pm and 1am depending on the number of shooters and what stupid things happen to me sunday night. Rather than having shooters check the website every 15 minutes they can just hit the pop up - watch TV(or what ever goes for a life nowadays)and wait for the the alarm to go off.

Some people have a great deal of patience and they don't care when the results come out. Others.... well don't. I know that I've spent a few nights obsessively refreshing a website waiting for the results to come out so i just created something that i wish always existed.

*hehe* yeah, it has to be field tested. The "every 60 seconds" time can be changed to anything else. And the refreshed pop up window is small so it doesn't take up that much bandwidth - especially if I remove the image in it.