Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Springfield XD-M

Picked up a new XD-M Bi-Tone last week. Put about 150 rounds through it and like it allot so far. I haven't played around with the different size grip backstraps too much, but the smallest (#1) seems to be the most comfortable for me. The stock sights are pretty nice, better than stock XD sights, but I wish they didnt' have the three dot configuration. The magazine release also seems a bit easier to hit than a regular XD.

The trigger is better than a regular XD, not as much takeup or reset.

The included hard case is nicer than expected, similar to some of the higher end Pelican styles. The stock paddle holster and double mag pouch are not bad either. Overall, a pretty nice package.

I've called around for extra magazines and a holster. As I understand, magazines should be available pretty soon... maybe 2-3 weeks.

Called over to Blade Tech and I was told maybe another 2-3 weeks as well, then I could place my order for a new holster.

This should be a fun gun to shoot and hopefully there will be some +3 or +4 mag base pads to put it in Limited.

There is an ad in American Rifleman that claims the barrel is made with some different type of process and is near match barrel quality.

Wasn't the impetus for this gun a manual safety for Military use? and if that, then I assume the 4" is a "normal" duty length for MP's?

Thread drift but...Anyone know when or why this became true? I am not arguing the point, because it does seem to be true. The 1911 and M9 have 5 inch barrels. If I remember right the older smith autos that police carried seemed to be either 4 or 5 inch.

But now a 5 inch barrel is some kind of competition special and 4 inch is standard. If I was going to open carry like a cop or serviceman in uniform, why not a 5"? Is it a big difference for sitting or something?