Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Jumps Slide Stop On The Last Round

Newguy

The gun is a Briley linkless barrel in .40 and up until today it worked fine. Suddenly, the slide started jumping the slide stop leaving the gun is cocked without a round in the chamber. I've tried 6 different slide stops and 2 different mags. Same problem. If I manually cycle the gun it catches fine and the slide is locked back--only a problem with live fire. I'm thinking it might be a bad mag catch (not lifting the mag up high enough), but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

I would suspect the mag springs before I would suspect the mag catch. Unless it's a plastic mag catch it would take a lot of use to wear the mag catch ledge down enough to cause feeding or slide stop problems.

Take a look at your mag followers and mag springs. If this is a single stack with the metal follower you might be able to adjust the slide stop notch/finger in the follower up a little bit to activate the slide stop. Try a new spring first though.

Is your weak hand thumb anywhere near the slide stop while you're shooting? You might be touching the slide stop and preventing it from moving completely into the slide notch.