Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recruitment Part 1

xcount

My friend Chuck and I have decided to put together a file of ideas for recruiting new shooters. For example, in our area one club gives both the first time shooter and that person’s “sponsor” a free match. Please contribute any ideas you may have. If your idea has already been tried, please indicate what the results were – successful or not so successful. Hopefully, these ideas will eventually be made available to all clubs to assist in their local recruiting efforts. Thank you.

Guest qstick

One thing that really made a huge difference in my comfort level as a new shooter was being put in a squad with people (and RO's) that took the time to make sure I knew exactly what was going on and answer all of my idiotic beginner questions. This past weekend, at my second match, a few of the same people (thanks gmw2b, I am still practicing walking :D ) took the time to show me a few techniques that I wasn't aware of, and as a new shooter, it really helps to have people "coach" you through some of the new ideas and make you feel welcome and part of the group.

This won't help attract new shooters, but it might help retain them. Being in a squad with friendly folks definately helps ease the awkward feeling of being the newguy.

Zach

At one of our local clubs first time shooters are encouraged to join USPSA by being allowed to shoot the match for free if they join at the match. We also try to pair them with a mentor, ideally the R.O. who safety checked them for rapport. Of course if they have pals, then they get squadded with pal or pals....

Having a Mentor is real important to a new shooter. Our club is running around 35-40 shooters a month, and has over the years, had a reputation as being a little unfriendly for the new guy. Its taken some real work to change that perception. Try to hook them up with the right club member (people person) , not just the top shooter.

One thing that has helped us bring in some new folks is a ½ day clinic. In addition to sticking brochures in all the local gun stores, we have posted it on our web site at www.millcreekpsl.org . We normally get 2 or 3 new folks out of one of these sessions. The students have been through the safety check, know the process, and are on a first name basis with the instructors. We also have all the contact information, so they can be emailed club news and match announcements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why not post basic information sheets at all the local ranges - including those that do not shoot IPSC - w/ contact info/website with match dates and sign up info??

Once you get the new people to show up, what then? While prizes, plaques and pins are a hot topic right now, why not offer incentives to all shooters that can be seen by the new shooters so they have something to strive for? I am thinking of a prize in L-10 of a box of 1000 primers for the winners of each class and in Production, a gift certificate for one Value Pack of Winchester 9mm (is the .40 available yet?). Also, at the beginning of the match, pick one shooter at random and make their match a free match - new shooters will see this too & feel like the club is giving back to them.

Hi guys,

The three "Golden Rules" which have worked wonders for me in all my endeavours (including the recruitment of new shooters) are:

1. Be friendly (i.e. the best communicable disease!)

2. Be informative (i.e. share your knowledge, without being condescending)

3. Be light-hearted (i.e. don't take yourself too seriously)

And, as Leroy "Satchel" Paige once said:

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like nobody's watching !"