Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sv Andstimag Interchangability

RAZZ

I had a question I was hoping you all could help me with. I am having a 40 limited gun built on an STI frame. I had intended on running all SV mags. I have 3, but am having no luck finding the rest that I need. If I use an SV mag release/catch, can I use both SV and STI mags (if thats all that I can find) without any problems? I have noticed that the notches appear to be of different dimensions between the SV and STI mags. Also--does anybody out there have any experience with tuning 45 mags to work with 40?--That could solve my mag availability problem. Thanks

Razz, you can use either mag with either catch. I have both sti and svi guns and mags and switch all the time. It seems that most, or at least a lot of folks use the svi mags because they can be tuned for higher capacity due to thier smooth sides but I feel that the sti mags with the ribbed sides have less internal friction. Use what you can get or like. I have never tried to rework a 45 mag to 40 but if it will work Beven Grams with Grams Eng. it the guy who will know. You can find him on this forun under TEAMGE. Good shooting Larry

Probably about 80% of the time you can use either magazine with either frame, the other 20% that are finicky can usually be solved by switching the mag catch release. I have however seen several guns that would only run with matching manufacturer's magazines, gonig to matching magazines solved feed problems that would not go away with any other solution. It depends on the spec's for your individual gun.