Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NON-CAPTIVE TUNGSTEN GUIDE-ROD FOR G-17

dlff

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me which is the heaviest non-captive tungsten guide-rod available in the after-market & where to get it?

It also occur to me that the tungsten guide-rods available in the market now will only work with ISMI wound recoil spring.

I am looking for tungsten a guide-rod that can use ISMI as well as Wolff springs.

Also anyone has any experience with the Ghost 5lb tactical connector?

Thanks mate!!!!

The heaviest tungsten guiderod might not be your best option, IMO. Depending on what division you are shooting, the extra weight may be too much and be against the rules. i.e USPSA production rules, no more than 2oz heavier than OEM weight. If you changed the sights to metal sights, you are also adding weight. The tungsten GR could be too much.

Secondly, after starting out with tungsten GR's in my glocks, I found I shoot better (and faster) with a basic satinless steel GR in the gun. The extra weight in the nose caused the front sight to dip at the end of the shooting cycle and slowed my split times down.

Lastly, ISMI springs last longer than the wolfe recoil springs. Nothing wrong with a wolfe recoil spring, but the ISMI's last so much longer I would recommend sticking with them if you can.

Welcome to finest community on the web for the competitive shooter.

Are you or someone you know having problems controlling the recoil of a 9mm?

Please give us more to work with if possible. A heavy recoil rod/spring combo is not

common with your gun. Due to the fact that if grip and stance are solid a 9mm

isn't hard to handle in a G17. Not at all as a matter of fact. Anyway, please fill us in.

The connector you mention has been around a long time and I'm sure

has a dedicated following. Not very many in the competitive circles I'm in

however, sorry. Anybody???

Jim M

Edited by JimmyM

Can anyone tell me which is the heaviest non-captive tungsten guide-rod available in the after-market & where to get it?

you can get one at either custom glock racing or top glock.

It also occur to me that the tungsten guide-rods available in the market now will only work with ISMI wound recoil spring.

I am looking for tungsten a guide-rod that can use ISMI as well as Wolff springs.

the tungsten guide rod sold at the stores above will work w/ both wolff and ismi springs. if you are using wolff just make sure the closed up end goes in first.

are you shooting ipsc? the oem 3.5lb connector will give you a 5lb pull depending on where you position the trigger pull scale thereby making you legal in ipsc production.

are you shooting ipsc? the oem 3.5lb connector will give you a 5lb pull depending on where you position the trigger pull scale thereby making you legal in ipsc production.

If he's shooting IPSC, he can't use a tungsten GR (or the SS for that matter) anyway.

I am following the IPSC's "Production Class" rules & not USPSA's IPSC "Production Class" rules which I believe is slightly different.

In the IPSC's "Production Class" rules, it must have a 5lb trigger pull & no painting or alteration to the frame is allowed. It does not say anything about prohibiting s. steel or tungsten guide rod.

I have no problem in handling the G-17 shooting factory 9mm load but just want to play with different guide rods & springs to come up with the best combination.

If your shooting factory ammo leave the recoil rod assembly stock.

Are you reloading your match ammo?

Say your reloads are in the 130pf range it "might" serve you well to work

with a 13-15# recoil spring.

Please remember. NOTHING wads up a gun faster than experimental

spring and ammo combinations. Nothing.

Any way I can talk you into leaving your trigger alone. :) Thought not.

Since you are restricted to a 5# limit. Do a search for a .25 cent trigger

job and get to it. Use Brian's Slide Glide under the connector hook and your done.

Enjoy. Be Safe!

Jim M

i have the 3.5 ghost connector. with reduced power wolf striker spring it comes in at 4.5 #'s. i'd expect with a stock spring you'd be right at 5.

i really like the ghost connectors

you can get one at either custom glock racing or top glock.

the tungsten guide rod sold at the stores above will work w/ both wolff and ismi springs. if you are using wolff just make sure the closed up end goes in first.