Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hellweg's Used At The Single Stack Classic

SteveZ

We've got a match in our section at the end of the month being run in accordance to the Single Stack Society Rules. http://www.geocities.com/gleeburk/jmbm.html and the discussion has come up if Hellweg TSH (Tactical Speed Holster) or CSH (Competition Speed Holsters) would be legal for use. So I'm curious... "back in the day" when Hellweg made these holsters...were they considered legal for use in the Single Stack Classic matches? I figured someone around here has been shooting long enough to know the answer! ;)

The rules at the 1911Society.org website regarding holsters are a bit vague...it states (paraphrasing):

"Q: What holsters are legal for the Single Stack Classic?

A: The 1911 Society doesn't have an approved holster list.

Our rules state. Only safe holsters and magazine pouches, on waist level belt, worn behind a line drawn down the center of the shooter's side are permitted. Belt must pass through pant loops or be attached to pants belt by velcro or keepers......

.....If the holster you thinking about using are designed for USPSA/IPSC Open Guns I can guarantee that it will not be allowed."

So were the Hellwegs allowed or were they banned back then?

A couple of years ago the Hellrig model that is cut way down in front was banned because it is an obvious competition holster posing as a carry rig. SSC says that if the holster is legal in IDPA it will be there too, a lot of choices from that list. The safariland adjuster is very popular and a lot faste that it looks like it would be.

So were the Hellwegs allowed or were they banned back then?

The original Hellweg holsters were definitely allowed in 1911 Society "back then." In the days before everyone became Kydex crazy (for good reason), they were one of the most popular holsters at the Single Stack Classic. I saw a lot of them in 1997 at the match.

People can and did carry with them on a daily basis back then too. They're not much different than a Yacqui Slide in terms of operation. So they should be legal in your match (in my opinion).