Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I convert my S&W 28-2 to an 8 shooter?

HighVelocity

I've got the hots for a 627PC, unfortunately my budget is not as hot for it as I am. <_< It dawned on me that I have a 6" 28-2 languishing away in the safe. Isn't a 627 an N frame? Could I get an 8 shot cylinder and other related parts and convert my 28? It's a really accurate gun but it'd see a whole lot more range time if this is doable.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

You'll still be a long way off from a PC 627 if you switch out the cylinder/hand, etc on your 28. You'd be better off selling the 28 and buying a good, used 627 for about the same the money you'd have in the conversion.

Or, you could join ICORE and be in the raffle to win a new PC 627 just for signing up. How's that for a deal? www.icore.org

Craig

Craig,

I looked at the ICORE site, they don't seem to have much of a presense in North TX. Still, the membership is reasonable and it sure would be nice to win that blaster.

I've looked around and made some phone calls today and haven't found one single used 627PC for sale in my area. When you say that the conversion would cost close to what a used 627pc costs, how much are we talking about?

Thanks,

Gary

HighVelocity, What putting an eight shot cylinder into a model 27-28, both 38 calibers, is that the bore of the will have to be raised some what. Either by getting a new barel and cutting the threads to make the bore slightly off center of the barrel, or redoing the frame to allow the heighth difference. It has been discussed before in the forum. It can be done economical if you are the machinist/ gunsmith and have the cylinder and of course you do not count your time into the equation. later rdd

HighV. You might want to look into the OKC ICORE club. HARDCORE We have a match once a month at the OKC Gun Club. Unfortunately the April month will be replaced by the Oklhoma Land Rush ( A large Annual SASS event) But we would be more than delighted to have you compete at our matches. Later rdd

Ahhh... If the 8 shot cylinders chambers won't line up with the 28's bore, I can see that will not be a cost effective conversion. :mellow:

Thanks guys.

edited to add: Thanks for the invite, Bubber. I may take you up on that some time.

Gary

Edited by HighVelocity

It can be done economical if you...do not count your time into the equation.

Bubber's doing math again?? :unsure:

As Cuzzin Waltermitty sez

It does not take a PHD in mathmatics to realize that 6 does not go into 21 or any stage with a Texas star
:blink:

It can be done economical if you...do not count your time into the equation.

Bubber's doing math again?? :unsure:

As Cuzzin Waltermitty sez

It does not take a PHD in mathmatics to realize that 6 does not go into 21 or any stage with a Texas star
:blink:

Bubber got taught cipherin' by a CoonAss chemistry teacher this past weekend. He and Daniel both had their shoes off tryin to add them seconds up... :blink:

Gary,

You'll still be a long way off from a PC 627 if you switch out the cylinder/hand, etc on your 28. You'd be better off selling the 28 and buying a good, used 627 for about the same the money you'd have in the conversion.

Or, you could join ICORE and be in the raffle to win a new PC 627 just for signing up. How's that for a deal? www.icore.org

Craig

I asked the guy at SW this question and he said it is no-go. The charge holes in the eight-shot cylinder don't line up the same as with a six-shot N-frame (they are closer to the edge of the cylinder). I don't think it's doable.