Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Clear A 550B Jam

After loading 2 squibs :angry2: (I was pretty sure I had at least one, but wasn't going to take apart 100 rounds so have squib rod and hammer will travel) I thought I would run this clearing drill by the experts. The squibs happened when I tried my best to load a LPP in a .45 NT piece of brass, and rather than taking every case off the 550 and starting again, I "winged" it. Not a good idea. So now when I have a FTP (failure to prime), I take the round in station 4 and put it with the rest of the loaded rounds since it has been through my Lee FCD. The cases in station 2 and 3 are pulled out, the bullet removed from case 3, the powder is dumped back into the hopper. After I clear whatever caused the primer problem, I run each of the 2 cases through the press starting is station 2, one at a time. I then start loading normally.

How do you clear a priming problem?

Thanks,

Bruce

After loading 2 squibs :angry2: (I was pretty sure I had at least one, but wasn't going to take apart 100 rounds so have squib rod and hammer will travel) I thought I would run this clearing drill by the experts. The squibs happened when I tried my best to load a LPP in a .45 NT piece of brass, and rather than taking every case off the 550 and starting again, I "winged" it. Not a good idea. So now when I have a FTP (failure to prime), I take the round in station 4 and put it with the rest of the loaded rounds since it has been through my Lee FCD. The cases in station 2 and 3 are pulled out, the bullet removed from case 3, the powder is dumped back into the hopper. After I clear whatever caused the primer problem, I run each of the 2 cases through the press starting is station 2, one at a time. I then start loading normally.

How do you clear a priming problem?

Thanks,

Bruce

Never had a priming problem with my 550B. When I have a issue, I pull the cases from station 1+2. I set the bullet at station 2 before I indesx, so if I have set a bullet in station 3 (but not pressed in case) I know I can finish that round. But, just to be safe I will lift that bullet, check for powder, then pull case 1+2. Cycle the press through so it's clear. Look at each round and start over with a primed round in station 2 and a new non-primed case in station 1. I really like setting bullets on station 2 after looking in the case for powder. Good safety measure. You can't double charge as the bullet is in the way.

Edited by 98sr20ve

After having a double and blowing up a gun because of a primer issue, I clear the entire shell plate into the "check" bin and start again with an empty shell plate. After I'm done I will check the rejects and depending on what needs to be done I'll fix them or toss them.