Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert .38 Super To 9x19?

tracecom

I have a Colt Government Model series 80 in .38 Super that has had a lot of work done on it, and it shoots really well, but I wonder if it is practical to convert it to a 9x19. I have heard stories about .38 Supers that would handle 9x19 ammo with no change, but that is not what I am after. (I am thinking of shooting this gun in IDPA ESP class.)

So, you 1911 experts, what would it take (barrel and mags and ?) and where could I get it done?

You must change the barrel. You will have to change magazines unless you are either lucky, or load your 9mm ammo to .38 Super oal. You might have to replace the ejector, depending on what PF you run and what spring is in it. And the extractor might, but probably not, have to be re-tensioned.

Get a barrel fitted and try your Super mags with factory 9mm ball. If it doesn't work, try a Colt 9mm mag. If it then works, you're home free. If it doesn't, you'll have to then tune spring, extractor and ejector.

I did the same thing, but overlooked the fact that there are no really good 9mm mags made for 1911. Wilson makes the 38Super mags which work without a hitch. best bet is to lay in a supply of 38 Super brass and load it to make the PF of 125 and go to work. You gain nothing with the 9 that you can't do better with the Super. Same mag capacity, same power factor, same great pistol, only thing is the time and expense of loading the ammo when there is cheap 9 ammo over the counter.

I'd leave it in Super, my $.02 worth.

Yeah,cheap 9, but I bet when you factor in a barrel, bushing, springs & mags and smithing labor super looks cheap. I bet with a little shopping you could start loading super for what it would cost to convert the pistol. Larry

The question was "What would it take" not "Is it economically viable?" Some shooters simply do not wish to ever pull the handle on a reloading press. (Crazy, I know, but true none the less.)

As for using 9mm in a Super, my brother once owned a Colt that would fire the two rounds interchangeably. You could load a magazine with mixed rounds, and crank them all off. It was 100% reliable. It also sucked accuracy-wise.

If the idea is to practice and compete cheaply, then it becomes math and time. How much would 9mm ammo cost, vs. how quickly could you pay for a Square Deal in .38 Super? And how willing are you to spend time in the basement loading?

I think Virgle Tripp is making or soon will 38 super mags. The 45 mags he makes are the best built ss mags I have ever seen. They are expensive but if the Tripp quality is there they will be good. Larry

Thanks to all for the input.

I do reload .40 S&W with an RL550B and could buy a conversion kit for .38 super, so that is an option. However, I would like to shoot 9mm for two reasons: first, I don't want to hunt brass after each session (our range is grass and isn't mowed very often,) and second, I think that by the time I buy bullets, primers, powder, and replacement brass, the cost of .38 supers will be about the same as the Wally World 100 packs of 9mm, i.e. about 11 cents per round.

But, as most of you seem to think, the conversion is probably not worth the effort. Maybe I'll try to sell the gun again. Thanks.

I have a .38 super Briley that is also setup for 9mm. The change required a new barrel and lighter recoil spring (assuming factory .38 super loads). In this particular gun the 9 rnd Metalform .38 super magazines ended up being the most reliable. The 9mm magazines didn't work as well for some reason. I have heard that Metalform is now making a new "Leatham/Springfield" version of a 9mm magazine which is supposed to be better, but I haven't tried them yet.

My 9mm 1911 is pretty finicky and if I reloaded I would probably spend some time trying some light .38 supers. The short 9mm round seems to give the 1911 fits. Expect to have to experiment quite a bit with loads, recoil springs, lubricants, magazines, etc to find the setup that works in your gun.