Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Type for a SOCOM 16

JimmyZip

Just got a Socom this year and am looking to put something on the rail for quick sight aquisition. What say you sages of the Benosphere?

Also is it possible to replace the stock with the Socom II stock to give me more options as to optics like red dot AND scope?

Well, don't leave us in the dark.

what did you find?

Do you have a link to any one particular thread that was the most useful?

Or what keywords did you punch in to get the results you found?

Thanks!

Sorry Chills, but I am 'tard when it comes to the computer!

I searched at the top of this page SOCOM 16 and came to a thread "What is the best optic for Tactical" or something like that. Also got some tips on what to do about that Fat A$$ front sight on this beast and got some good info about that too. It seems that at the normal sight radius for the M1A, the normal front sight is the right width. But at the diminished radius, it is just too big! I found that at 200 yds that thing was not a front sight but a blotter hiding my target. If you get a chance to check one out you will see what I mean.

What I do like is how light the recoil is on this thing for a .308. This thing, even with such a short barrel is suprisingly light and accurate. I even found the trigger to be smooth out of the box.

Close up it shoots great, but out past 100 yds you begin to see why people are having the front sight thinned.

Some poeple are even thinning the front sight and competing with irons. I think that with my vision still good, I will start that route and buy the optic after trying several this season on friends rifles.

Forgot to add that the optics that got the most positive response were the Meostar 1x4, Meopta R-1, the TR21, and the Weaver1-3x20. I think the weaver sounds like a good one to start on.

JZ

Edited by JimmyZip

I just wanted to duck in here real quick about those scopes and the SOCOM....

IIRC, all the SOCOM's I see advertised in the "gunzines" have some sort of scout scope set up on the gun. That is to say that the scopes are way out on the forend, above the barrel.

They are NOT over the action/breech like what you would see on your grandpa's bolt action rifle (for deer or elk).

So the scopes you listed above MAY NOT have the eye relief to be used way out in front like the SOCOM ads.

You may have to splurge and buy a 100 something dollar scope mount that attaches to the receiver. Springfield Armory makes one, and I think Fulton Armory makes one too. A few guys on various internet gun forums have piped up and IIRC said they like the Fulton one better.

I'm sure there are other M-1A and M-14 forums out there, but you may want to try this:

http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/index.php

Not trying to name drop so I won't say who, but the "Operators" :ph34r: I know running the "EBR" which is like a GI SOCOM 16, are using a Holosight and love it. They were getting hits at ridiculous ranges with that thing. :surprise: