Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W primers for revolver

BigDave

I've ran about 50 or so rounds through my newly aquired Smith 610.  I was using my Limited loads, which are set off by Winchester small pistol primers.  I've heard that if you shoot a wheel gun, Federal is the way to go.  Does that go for the small pistol primers, or only the large (as in the 45 ACP in the 625, 25-2, etc)?

People like to use Federal in revolvers because they are "softer" and you will have less light hits with a revolver that has a trigger job.  Both my 625's have light trigger jobs and I have a Bill Davis PPC revolver with a super light trigger and they all run with Win primers. I have also shot 40's in my 610 and have had no problems.  I would think that the larger firing pin of the 610 made for the LP primer of the 10mm would impart more force on the smaller surface area of the 40's SP primer.

If you have problems with light hits I would first check the strain screw and if that is OK then go to the Federals if needed.  If you don't have any problems why bother?

Intel6 - thanks, thats kinda what I thought.  I was just trying to avoid making a big mistake by not using Federal primers for some reason I didn't know.

Just to clarify, and I don't know if this makes a difference, this perticular 610 has the firing pin on the hammer.

Mine has the FP on the hammer also.  It was one of the original batch of 610's. I have heard that the DA triggers on the newer frame mounted FP's can't be made as light as the older hammer mounted FP's.  I have heard respected Revo smiths take both sides but as the one I trust the most says that he could make a frame mounted S&W as light as a hammer mounted version, I will side with it doesn't make a difference.

Neal in AZ

I have tried to run Winchester Primers in both of my Revos and ended up eventually going to Federal.  Between the Revos (S&W 625-8, S&W 686+1-6), the 686 gave me the most misfires.  I have wolf springs in both with action jobs, and since doing that I have moved to Federal Primers.  In addition to being soft the cup thickness on Federals is a little thinner than WP, or CCI.