Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CHEAP lap top

Round_Gun_Shooter

The operative word here is CHEAP. I can even do used if it is from someone or some place that can be trusted.

I know nothing about computers except basic how to push the buttons. I need a lap top that I can use in training for Power Point and to show some DVDs, play audio CDs and a little e mail. My desk top machine and my daughter will handle prepping the presentation for me.

I am doing more training and have added IDPA SO Instructor to my bag of tricks. My son has a projector I can use off a lap top, I have a screen, I have the media, now I need a cheap lap top to use. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Running off of XP would save me learning something else.

Any suggestions??? Take a look at These

(Cheap= less than $600)

I recently bought a budget Acer 5520 for a reasonable cost on NewEgg. Having said that, I don't think the brand name is all that important in a budget buy, more that you get the things you need to fit within your budget. I am happy with the purchase, but even now, it is above your price range.

If you do not NEED Vista, stay away from it, simply because it uses more resources than Win XP.

Get as much memory as you can get, anything less than 2 gigs is BAD

Get a harddrive the largest you can manage, programs are always increasing in size, and once it is full, you either have to start cleaning stuff up, or replace it anyway.

• 3 years later...

I like the Toshiba and Lenovo laptops overall for quality and toughness. Sony, Acer, and Dell all make some pretty good ones though in that price range.

If you are going to be running windows 7 I would say to get a fast multicore processor, at least 2 gigabytes of system RAM (4 to 8 would be better), a video card/processor that has at least 512mb of RAM (if you can get one with 1 gigabyte great), and at least a 500GB if not a 1TB hard drive.

You will also want to make sure that you can add more RAM (memory) later on to it. That way you can keep using it longer.

The key with a laptop is to buy MORE than you need right now because other than RAM and a hard drive, they are generally not upgradeable. You will eventually outgrow your immediate needs and software is getting pretty processor and memory intensive these days. Windows 7 with "Aero" turned on is a pretty big system hog. It looks pretty but man does it use a lot of resources. Aero is turned on by default by the way. :)