Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Synapse

The tiny electrical impluses that are fired along the limbs, hands and feet as we do something travel in nerve tissue that I am told is subject to "synapse".

As I understand this term it is an attenuation (lessening) of the resistance to electrical pulses due to repitition. When we say slow is smooth and smooth is fast what we are recognizing is that the motions in an action are subject to this "synapse".

When you slowly execute a straight punch or a correctly formed kick, or a perfect draw you are breaking down the resistance in the cells along the neural path that makes that action happen. Each slow repitition improves the pathway to the desired action.

My instructor in Tae Kwon Do told me many times in the several years I was training hard, slowly to make right first for ten times, then ten repititions at an increasing rate of speed, but only as fast as you can do it right! When correct is as fast as you can then, repeat the whole slow makes fast to make even faster.

Though I am not gifted with much quick twitch muscle fiber, I did learn to make enough speed to get inside the other guy's reaction time! Try this, I think you will like it.

Edited by Michael Carlin

They actually teach a class at GIT out in LA using the same principles. You would break down a section, or a riff as slow as you could play it perfectly....then increase the metronome speed until it was up to tempo. It works.....I still do this all the time in learning new material.

great post....

Wes

Anatomically, a 'synapse' is the space between two neurons (nerve cells) or between a neuron and an 'end organ', eg: muscle fiber. Impulses are conducted across this microscopic space via chemicals that flow back and forth. Some of these chemicals include serotonin, epinephrine, and norepinephrine. Those are the most well known, but there are a variety of others.

Simplified version: repetitive activity and training can change the number of receptors, their density (number per volume), and the overall 'efficiency' of transmitting an impulse from the brain through the nerves to the muscles.

Beyond that, I'll leave discussion of th the specifics to the exercise physiologists. :)

Also short version: yes, training is 'worth it'.

I don't know why this analogy hit me (maybe because of bowling on the Nintendo Wii)...

I was think of rolling a bowling ball...over the lawn/yard/field. If you shoot for the same target time after time, then after a while there will start to be a path made in the yard that the ball wants to follow. The more that path is followed, the deeper it will get. Eventually, you get a nice rut, then a good gutter. The ball can't hardly help but stay on that path.

You can also increase your fast twitch muscle fiber by proper training.

O Lifting is a great place to start (with good instruction of course).

Jake,

I am under the impression that the ratio of slow twitch to fast twitch fibers is genetically fixed, is this correct? I also understand that the strength and endurance of the your quick twitch fibers can be addressed specifically by training, is that right?

Can you talk to the exercise regimen that one can use to improve his or her "quickness". At 57 I am pretty fit, but I would like to be able to maximizes what quickness I still have.

Things I am wondering about:

Pliometrics (did I spell that right?)

Ecentric or negative movements

Crossfit regimens that might help

exercises that are low impact but allow quick twitch improvement

can less than 1RM or less than 5 RM help this?

Thanks

Michael

Edited by Michael Carlin

What fast twitch muscle fibers produce is power - also known as maximum force in minimum time. A lot of people say that they can't really be improved, but there are several examples of it. Just one example is that I've been able to increase my vertical by 2 inches in a month and a half while also gaining nearly 20 pounds.

They tend to be usually fixed, but that is not a hard and fast rule by any means. Lance Armstrong was actually able to convert a great deal of his fast twitch muscle fiber to slow twitch muscle fiber from years of cycling. I don't know if this necessarily applies to the other end of the spectrum, but I wouldn't rule it out.

However even if that is true, you can definitely increase the speed, endurance, and synaptic function through proper training.

Basically what you are looking at is doing any explosive exercise at 3 - 5 reps per set. I would personally use about 80% of your 3RM or 5RM (depending on how many you are doing). Olympic lifting has some of the most explosive exercises out there. Anything where you need a triple extension is fantastic, so work a lot on Cleans (squat, power, etc...). The key that most people miss is to work in specific core work to ensure that their body is able to adequately transfer energy. Overhead Squats are one of the best core exercises you can do, and once you are adept at that, start doing snatches.

Also don't forget that in any good weightlifting routine, if you aren't squatting and deadlifting you are doing yourself a great disservice.

Plyometrics can help although those will be used mainly for increasing MetCon rather than actual strength and power.

Eccentric movements not so much, since there is no explosive application of force.

Crossfit will definitely work, but it won't work as well as a dedicated program. What I'm personally doing now is 3 months of a strength and power routine, and then I'll get back to doing CF workouts.