Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blind Reloads...

So while dryfiring the other night I found out I could do something I did not know I could. I had done maybe 30 or 40 Burkett Reloads and, as I usually do, was running a few full reloads just to keep the feel of getting my weak hand back on the gun correctly.

I had done a couple and all was well, the cat made some noise in the other end of the basement right as the timer beeped. I looked to the right as I started the reload and never saw the gun tilt over, the fresh mag go in, or the gun get back on target...it just happened. I was right back on an upper A-zone hold and under my 1.0 par time.

I did a few more where I just closed my eyes at the buzzer and did the whole reload blind, I was almost always back to a good index after the reload was done. To hit them consistently it seemed I needed about an extra .1 or .15 on the par time.

I did not want to do too many of these because I was afraid I was teaching myself not to LOOK the mag into the gun. Am I right in my thinking there or do you think there is value in your arms and hands knowing how to complete the reload even without your eyes?

I'd guess that most shooters can get to the point of doing a blind standing reload, even several in a row, with enough practice (I can, and I'm no where near M class). But while kinesthetics are good, vision is better, and what you can do on the move from the infinitely variable positions in a real stage is what really matters.

But being able to do it is a sign that you're beginning to groove in the techniques, and that IS a big step in the right direction.

It's a very cool discovery when you first realize you can do that. :cheers:

When I first started and didn't know there was a right or wrong way to train :rolleyes: I would practice my reloads in the dark, standing over the bed just so I could do them without looking. My thinking was that I didn't want to take my eyes off the next target. I guess now that helps me when I'm doing a running reload and have to watch where I'm going, but to do a fast, smooth standing reload you need to look-it-in. :)