Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super ESR

kevinpagano

I don't see what makes a SSR more desireable than a regular 4" 686. Somebody clue me in.

I with you Tom, I don't see it either. I would rather have the heavy lug and craftsmanship from earlier years.

I don't see what makes a SSR more desireable than a regular 4" 686. Somebody clue me in.

I with you Tom, I don't see it either. I would rather have the heavy lug and craftsmanship from earlier years.

Especially for half the price. :surprise:

I guess what I find interesting is that we have a pointless but fashionable SSR for IDPA and a discontinued 5" 625 that is pretty much THE USPSA revolver gun. :angry2:

For what it's worth:

Curt Nichols and I both used SSRs at the Indoor Nationals last month, so I can speak from experience.

The SSR is a lot more nimble in the hand than a traditional, full lug L-frame. The weight is about the same as a 19 or 66, but the bulk of the mass is further back in the hand, so it transitions pretty well. Also, with the interchangeable sight system, you can easily switch sights from match-to-match to accomodate different lighting conditions. Please note I did not write "stage-to-stage".

A lot of folks I talk to prefer the "traditional forged parts" - sounds like Gregg and Tom are part of that crowd. The SSR has those as well.

The MSRP is about $100 more than a traditional 686 - but as Kevin found out, you can do much better if you shop around. The Indoor National Commerative SSRs went for $779 for instance.

I shot my best IDPA Classifier score ever with one the first time I used one in December.

If you prefer L-frames, they are the way to fly for IDPA.

Craig

Edited by Bones

A lot of folks I talk to prefer the "traditional forged parts" - sounds like Gregg and Tom are part of that crowd. The SSR has those as well.

It's not that I am against MIM parts all that much it's more the lack of quality control and inspection. From my limited experience working on a few of each, the older ones had better fit and quality. I think that a MIM gun can be just fine with the right quality control. I am just afraid to buy the new ones from my admittedly limited experience. Here is a picture of the yoke from a 625JM that was looked at twice by S&W after it went through assembly and ignored. Maybe this is not the norm but it has caused me to have a lack of faith in quality control. This is clearly a junk part with a crack that runs all the way through yet it was still installed on assembly and again after it was sent back for several other defects. This is not a bash S&W post, I love their revolvers, I just have a lack of faith in the recent quality control.

625_Yoke.jpg

The SSR is a lot more nimble in the hand than a traditional, full lug L-frame.

A lot of folks I talk to prefer the "traditional forged parts" - sounds like Gregg and Tom are part of that crowd. The SSR has those as well. Craig

I actually think the MIM parts are just fine. If I had a gun with a FMFP forged hammer it would get a MIM hammer installed. They are less dense and lighter. As far as barrel weight, I happen to like the heavier barrel but that's a matter of preference. If IDPA is supposed to be less "gamey" your comment about front sights is interesting. That said I do like the Classic front sight setup. Sure your "best match" wasn't because you're getting better? I keep having "best matches" and I haven't changed my gun. I do know that after my "other" 625 gets it's custom barrel Jerry's going to be in trouble. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I read the post earlier about the PC 686 in 38 supers at the gun shows being around 1200 or 1300. Has anyone seen these on gunbroker or any of the other sites? I'm thinking of selling mine, and the prices online are usually a little less than what you see at the shows. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should be asking for mine. It has the aluminum box and some clips and all that good stuff.

OK thanks to all for the information. I was wondering if 38 special with moon clips would be a good option for ESR as well. I like the smaller framed guns , fit my hand better. I am trying to reload with as little change as possible like using same bullets, primers etc. I have an existing 586 and I think the hotter loads might be better in the full lug gun. I have shot revolvers but not much playing with loads and never in competition even though I am an Expert SSP and a B class Production shoooter.

Thanks for your thoughts.

OK thanks to all for the information. I was wondering if 38 special with moon clips would be a good option for ESR as well. I like the smaller framed guns , fit my hand better. I am trying to reload with as little change as possible like using same bullets, primers etc. I have an existing 586 and I think the hotter loads might be better in the full lug gun. I have shot revolvers but not much playing with loads and never in competition even though I am an Expert SSP and a B class Production shoooter.

I've considered IDPA and to shoot with a revolver it seemed a 67 with "Bubberized" Comp III's was a good way to go. K-frame minor. I like full moons but not if they require Major. The 67 with CompIII's also seemed economical.

I've considered IDPA and to shoot with a revolver it seemed a 67 with "Bubberized" Comp III's was a good way to go. K-frame minor. I like full moons but not if they require Major. The 67 with CompIII's also seemed economical.

In IDPA if one uses moon clips you have to shoot in ESR AND are required to shoot major. If you choose speed loaders you shoot in SSR and may shoot minor. To me, major in a 625 is a whole lot more comfortable than in an L frame.