Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sr-25 Magazine Help Please!

L9X25

A few years ago I purchased a new SR-25 rifle and several of the 20rd magazines from KMC. I immediately had problems with the magazines feeding reliably. I called KMC and they gave me instructions on how to "tune" the mag springs to get them to feed properly. The fix worked for a while and now the mags are failing again. I tried "tuning" the old mags and even some of the unused magazines but nonework properly. It is possible that I may need to replace the springs but the gun barely has 150 rounds through it and they can't be worn out. They may have "set" from sitting although they are never left with ammo in them. I feel that there must be something wrong with the design as the springs still feel strong but do not hold the rounds in the proper position so that the bolt will strip them from the magazine. The rounds are at the top of the magazine but the base of the case is not against the mag lip and the bolt just passes over the top of the headstamp and does not strip the round. I E-mailed KMC several times with no response.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Leo

Leo,

What type of ammo are you using? I only have 2 20 rd mags but both feed fine. Have broken the mags down and cleaned them inside? Give John Carney a call at Excalibur arms he seems to sell a lot of KAC guns and is pretty up to date on them.

Chris,

When I purchased the gun I also purchased a few cases of the KMC recommended Remingtom 168gr BTHP Match ammo. The gun was hand selected by Reed Knight and is a real shooter with this ammo(under 1/2" groups @ 100) when the mags work. The mags have been disassembled and cleaned although they were never dirty. The gun only has 150 rounds through 2 or 3 magazines so none of them have seen much use and none have been dropped in the dirt or anything. The magazines just act the opposite of our hi-cap pistol magazines ... the noses are always high but the bottoms droop. Where we often need to "tune" the pistol mag springs/followers to keep the noses up, KMC recommends tuning these magazines to keep the nose down and raise the base up. Unfortunately, the springs push up on the center of the followers and a .308 is nose light and butt heavy as balanced from the center.

I spoke with another SR-25 owner that that the same problem and claimed they changed to a new magazine base plate to keep the springs from moving around in the mags and solved his problem. When he described the new& old base plates, it seems that I already had the "new" style plate. No soultion there!

Leo

Leo,

Yeah the are shooters. My test target is .505. It will do .3's if I do my part. Have you tried polishing a little off the rear sides of the follower? Might let the rear ride up properly. I've been lucky the only problem I had was when I adjusted the trigger a little too light. .308 full auto rocks!

Leo,

I know you don't want to hear this but you will not get any support from Reed Knight. Even with the huge amount of SR's the military has purchased they receive pathetic support. I can tell you there are about 8-10 different types of SR magazines. If you can find any of the newer mags they may increase the reliability.

Most of the fellas I know that purchased these weapons have opted for option two which is to sell the SR, buy two Ar-10's and be done with it. Or better yet, buy a AR-10 from JP.

Are you having any problems with extraction/ejection? Alot of the rifles I have seen had bad chambers(actually all of the first issue) which increased pressure causing the rifle to unlock while still having pressure, which in turn shaved brass off into the ejector. The problem was eventually fixed but not by Knight.

Stay in the fight, when they work they are great.... When, when, ............

KyleL

I bought my SR-25 in 1992 and got the one "waffled" mag with the gun that worked fine. I purchased more SR-25 mags that were the new style non- waffled type and all have run 100%. My friends AR-10 is half the cost but is not nearly as accurate or reliable and has been back to Armalite 4 times for various roblems and he has less than 3,000 rnds fired. I too had to send my rifle back after having repeated doubles and Knight's sent it back with a new trigger system at no cost other than my shipping. I have more metal non waffled SR-25 20 rnd mags in the original cosmoline wrappers if anybody wants to buy them.