Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

vision problem

silvery37

I have been shooting for a while but have started a much more regimented program lately. I am right eye and hand dominant. When I shoot with both eyes open I get a double image. I can still aim and shoot well like this. The problem is that when I close my non dominant eye I find that I am usually aiming a little to the left. My perception with both eyes open fools me into consistently shooting about 2 inches left at 10 yards. If I close my left eye and only shoot with my dominant eye I am dead on. Is there any easy way to fix this?

The strange part is that I focus on the sights and they do not have a double image. The blurry background of the target will be doubled but it appears to me that I am centered on the target. Only when I close my left eye do I find that I am actually holding to the left.

Edited by silvery37

Sounds like an astygmatism in one or both of the eyes, go have them check. I never wore glasses

and still dont need a focus correction (20/15) but since shooting more and more I found I have a very small

astygmatism in my dominate eye, somthing like 0.25 curveture correction. I cant see it in everyday

vision but when shooting groups or long rifle shots I can see a hint of a double sight.

I went for a test and just held a pen at arms lenth focusing on the very tip like a front sight and I could

not belive the difference after correction.Good luck with that!

Could also be a cross dominance problem I guess ? Do a search!!

Oh just noticed, Welcome Aboard!!!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

These might be helpful:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44810

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58149

I normally wear progressive bifocals (everyday). The shooting glasses are monofocal lenses (extensive discussions on that elsewhere in the forums, use 'monofocal' or 'monovision' as search terms) -- dominant lens focal length set to front sight distance, non-dominant lens set to my distance Rx. Optometrist used to do similar Rx for bullseye shooters in the Navy, so he knew exactly what I was asking for. I put tape over the top portion of the non-dominant lens -- blocks input when my head is tilted slightly forward in shooting stance; but I can see through both lenses to move over uneven ground.

With this set up, I can actually see the often-referenced 'serrations on the sights', and it's physiologically easier to do the rapid front sight/target focus transitions.

Decot Hy-Wyd lenses (can be Rx or plano - no prescription) are big enough to provide good eye protection, good field of vision for prescriptions, space for the tape, etc. I looked at many options and found these to be the best for what I needed/wanted [personal commentary only, not a sales pitch]. YMMV.

The solution to this can be very individual. Lots of options, see what works best for you.

My left eye actually has slightly better vision than my right eye. This may be part of the problem.

Right and so your left eye may be coming into play to see better. Try putting tape on your glasses

to block the ft sight from the left eye and if gone then thats it but I still say go have them checked, and fixed..

RudyProject makes an awsome prescription insert

Rudy Project

dsc01120hu5.jpg

dsc01120hu5.a7bd6d61a4.jpg

That is a picture of my target. For reference I was shooting at 10 yards, the target is 12'' wide the head is 4'' wide. I put about 30 rounds into the main group. You can see it is a little left of center. I tried the tape on my glasses and it works. I havent been able to shoot with it yet but i dont see double vision.

If I can get the group centered I will be able to shoot much faster. My goal was to shoot and have the shoots land in the 0 portion of an IDPA target. In the picture above they would have. But if the group was centered I would have more room for error and be able to accept a larger group.

Edited by silvery37

It is possible it is a trigger issue but I doubt it. When I am on target with both eyes open and then close my left eye the sights are centered in the group pictured above. The group isnt low either, it is only to the left. I will try shooting with the tape on the glasses and that will give me my answer.

Same here. Left eye dominant and right handed and shoot both eyes open. Right eye is 20/20 and left eye is 20/15. Have been using the scotch tape trick on my glasses over my left eye and find that it helps my right eye focus very well on the front sight. I used to just aim with my left eye but my NPA goes to my right eye so that was the reason for the switch.

I shot a match yesterday and forgot to switch glasses while on deck. Shot my stage and didn't even realize I forgot my taped glasses until reloading for the next stage. Talked to my shooting buddy about that and agreed that I must be starting to use my right eye now out of habit since I had no recollection of which eye was actually used. A couple months ago I did the same thing but noticed DURING the course of fire, and wound up closing each eye while I moved the sights back and forth to get them to line up...

Edited by Taildraggerdave

I went out shooting today. I noticed that on a range my vision doesnt seem to have the problems I do at home dry firing. Sometimes I get a double image but i dont think that is the problem. I tried shooting with tape on my glasses and still grouped to the left.

I believe the problem is my grip. I dont seem to group to the left when I shoot a .22. I know my trigger pull is smooth but if I put in a snap cap I drop the muzzle of the pistol. I think I also need to both relax more and increase the grip in my left hand compared to my right.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been struggling with this lately too. I have 20/200 and 20/400 uncorrected. Can't even see the sights without my glasses. Nice huh?

With hard lenses (glasses, old prescription) I can see the sight AND the target in very good focus. If I focus on the target, the front sight is still very clear. My lenes are a bit out of date as my left eye is only 20/40 corrected vs. 20/30 right eye. My presiption is 2 years old.

Tried Contacts. Completely different effect. Focus on target, can barely see the sights. Focus on sight, double image downrange (both eyes open). I realize some of this is due to the power factor bump of my prescription. I've dropped down .5 power factor in both eyes from original prescription (nice thing about contacts, the demo's are free) and it's better but I'm still haveing issues.

I have Rudy's glasses. My eyes suck so bad that the inserts have to be so thick they hit the lenses of the frames and that alters the angle, thus changing my perceived correction factor.

My next change is to drop down another .25 power factor in my R. Maybe .5 in my L. This is will make it easier for my right eye to take over (I am most definitely R eye dom.) and see the target/sight. Dropping down the power reduces the focal length. I don't need to see the perfs at 25-50 yards anyway.

I do have astigmatism in my R, dominant eye. I'm using Toric lenses to correct for this but it's still no where near as good as my current (old) glasses.

I just want to be able to shoot in my super pimp Rudy's.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the contacts. I went from a prescibed 5.5 left, 4.5 right down to 4.75 left, 4.25 right without correcting for the astigmatism. It's better. I can still see every bit as good at distance but now I can see better close up. I'm going to go down more, at least in the right.

During dry fire I see the double image but when I actually shoot my right eye really takes over and all I see is sight and one blury target. I'll wear the contacts for this weekends matches and see how the HF looks.

One thing to check is the light level. For example, in bright light, i.e. out on the range, the trick of using strong eye correction for the front sight and weak eye correction for distance works for me. At home dry firing in low light, i.e. lamp and ceiling light, it doesn't work so well and my normal strong eye dominance is messed up. At home, I don't wear the glasses unless it is day time and I can open the shades.