Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 28

rjkelso

I am considering replacing the front sight on my model 28 with a fiber optic dealy. I think the existing sight is some kind of staked deal. Any ideas on how to best deal with this? The fiber optic sights are really helpful to these aging peepers.

Thank you

Kelso

The old 28 is a great gun. Unfortunately, changing the front sight isn't going to be easy. Mine is part of the barrel as far as I can tell and it looks to me that it would have to be milled for a replacement front sight.

Gary J.

That's what I'm thinkin

The old 28 is a great gun. Unfortunately, changing the front sight isn't going to be easy. Mine is part of the barrel as far as I can tell and it looks to me that it would have to be milled for a replacement front sight.

Gary J.

Does that also apply to the early model (no dash) 686?

You could always have a Weigand Sight Base put in, that way you can change it at will and the Classic Sight Blades will work.

I seem to remember someone telling me it's sight is Pinned in, it's just real hard to see.

I seem to remember someone telling me it's sight is Pinned in, it's just real hard to see.

Dave is right. They're pinned in place before the gun is polished and finished at the factory, so the pin becomes nearly invisible. But there should be a pin holding the sight in, and it should be no big deal to install a new F/O sight. I've done it on several old N-frames.

Dave is right. They're pinned in place before the gun is polished and finished at the factory, so the pin becomes nearly invisible. But there should be a pin holding the sight in, and it should be no big deal to install a new F/O sight. I've done it on several old N-frames.

They did a heck of a job on mine because I have looked at it under a big magnifier with lots of light and cannot see any sign of a pin anywhere. I've got an SDM FO FS that would be awesome on my 28 too.

I am going to try some lumin dye or something... I really want to see that pin and knock it out!

How about my no dash 686, is there a hidden front sight pin there too? If there is, I'll be callin' Brownells first thing tomorrow. :cheers:

Gary J.

Well, I couldn't wait so I started closely inspecting sight bases and sure enough... I was able to see the pin on my 19-3. :surprise:

After thinking about it for a few seconds, I decided that the ol 19 would be a lot more fun if I could see the sights so I held my breathe and swung the hammer. 30 minutes later, baby has a new SDM fiber optic front sight and she looks soooooo happy. :goof:

Thanks Dave and Carmoney for showing me the light on the hidden pin. Now, off to Brownells.com! :devil:

Gary J.