Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide weight?

tk4

Bull or bushing?

There are two schools of thought and a million opinions in between. One says to take all the weight out you can reasonably get, lower the slide mass so much that it doesn't flip the gun when the slide stops against the frame. The other says that we have weight moving and can't get around that so lets use that weight to do some part of the work in returning the sights.

Each will have a distinct recoil feel and sight track, different strokes for different folks and all of that. Then there are all the variations in between.....

I think Matt Cheely may have some good information on this issue. I once asked this very question, and I believe he said you cant go much lower than 10 or 11 ounces (total slide weight - including sights) but please don't quote me on that. I am not a gunsmith.

Right now I really like a slide that weighs 11.5oz with sights still attached. 12lb recoil spring, 17lb mainsping, and a FP stop that has a very wide angle on the back.

I did a gun once that had a 10.5 oz slide with sights and it was as light as I'd ever go shooting major.

Edited by Matt Cheely

Bull or bushing?

There are two schools of thought and a million opinions in between. One says to take all the weight out you can reasonably get, lower the slide mass so much that it doesn't flip the gun when the slide stops against the frame. The other says that we have weight moving and can't get around that so lets use that weight to do some part of the work in returning the sights.

Each will have a distinct recoil feel and sight track, different strokes for different folks and all of that. Then there are all the variations in between.....

It is a bull barrel. Just hoping to get opinions from knowledgable smiths like yourself. Thanks.

Right now I really like a slide that weighs 11.5oz with sights still attached. 12lb recoil spring, 17lb mainsping, and a FP stop that has a very wide angle on the back.

I did a gun once that had a 10.5 oz slide with sights and it was as light as I'd ever go shooting major.

Thank you. That is with sights on, but extractor, firing pin and stop removed. Right?

I go a little lighter with a bull than with a bushing, two different animals and why I asked. I personally like to shoot them right at 11 complete as it is on the gun.

Wow, that's light. Thank you for the info. I will probably stay conservative at first at around 12, and compare it to my edge, and then decide if I should go lighter. I can always take out a little more, but can't put any back in.

Bull to bushing is basically an ounce to an ounce and a half difference and we are looking at least part of the time at a combined slide and barrel weight. Remember, it is a balance. The slide and barrel combined weights need to be considered, as well as the free running slide weight after the barrel unlocks. As the slide and barrel lock up again the weight is combined again. Combined weight of the two is a detail that is often missed....

The bottom line is this: does the front sight return? THAT alone is the key. Balance things out and the front sight will come back right now, almost like the gun is on autopilot.

For practice I use a 5" "fat free" gun that Benny cut. The slide is about 10.5 oz complete and the gun has a Schuemann bull barrel. I use a 14# recoil spring with a 17# mainspring and a radiused firing pin plate as well as a tungsten FLGR. The gun is snappy. It is a little harder to watch the sights and hold down but when I pick up my match gun that has a "classic slide" (12 oz+) with the same springs, GR, and AET bull barrel, it is pretty flat and the front sight stays where I want it...

For practice I use a 5" "fat free" gun that Benny cut. The slide is about 10.5 oz complete and the gun has a Schuemann bull barrel. I use a 14# recoil spring with a 17# mainspring and a radiused firing pin plate as well as a tungsten FLGR. The gun is snappy. It is a little harder to watch the sights and hold down but when I pick up my match gun that has a "classic slide" (12 oz+) with the same springs, GR, and AET bull barrel, it is pretty flat and the front sight stays where I want it...

Would one of the tungsten reverse plugs effectively add weight back into the slide for those who find out they prefer the heavier slide? Have you tried this yet?

You are thinking and that is good. Go the other way though, lighten steel parts before taking metal out of the slide, see if you like the lighter weight. Putting metal back in a reverse plug is pretty easy, pay Chuck $15 (or whatever they cost) for another one. Putting metal back into the slide is a lot harder and more expensive. You can take a bit of weight at a time and dial it in where you like it.