Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights and Targets

Larrys1911

Ok I have FINALLY started seeing the sights.

Ive been blinking since age 4 when my father handed me a 357 mag Mod 66 4" with full loads!  I pulled the trigger with the gun about 6" from my face and it hit me SQUARE between the eyes.

First gun of any kind I ever fired and I was then hooked!

OK so I have finally started SEEING my sights while shooting - WOW - new world to explore!

I have noticed that my relationship to the sights is not what is recommended. I focus on the Tgt and fuzz out the sights, always have!

the other day I couldnt get a group for squat at 25yds so I tried focusing on the SIGHTS, WOW it worked - I still dont see how though.

How do you hit the SPOT you want if you tgt is blurry?

is it back and forth between the sights or just look at the sights?  When shooting at speed IPSC/IDPA do I bring the gun to the tgt confirm Im in the right spot and switch to the sights again or what?

it seems really slow but with a timer seems to be just a couple tenths slower, but much more accurate!

Would some of you walk me through this?

When I really saw this I was shooting  the IDPA classifier for practice , 7 points down for the whole thing?????

HAPPY, the times were really SLOW, like (MM - SS) but the hits were great and I made Master so I guess I shouldnt complain!

ITs just so COOOL

Larry P

(Edited by Larrys1911 at 11:32 pm on Sep. 28, 2002)

DRY FIRE

Not a new Master really, got bumped at the ARK State match in CDP.   Still working on the skills becasue of this forum.

listening to the guys on here keeps my head SMALL.

Dry Fire got me to Master though.  Lots of it!

I dont have the time or money to shoot all the time so I have to make due......

Larry P

As the targets get harder, the focus on the front sight gets more intense.

As the target gets smaller, you will worry less about EXACTLY where on the target you want to hit but instead worry more about trigger control.

It's all about focus types (in the book) and an acceptable sight picture for the shot. I use to have a lot of trouble getting out of hose mode for steel, but now in the walk thru I tell myself which focus is needed for each array. It works, just like planning a reload. Try it.

SA

• 10 years later...

As the targets get harder, the focus on the front sight gets more intense.

As the target gets smaller, you will worry less about EXACTLY where on the target you want to hit but instead worry more about trigger control.

It's all about focus types (in the book) and an acceptable sight picture for the shot. I use to have a lot of trouble getting out of hose mode for steel, but now in the walk thru I tell myself which focus is needed for each array. It works, just like planning a reload. Try it.

SA

I need to get this book