Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2008 recap & opinions

/rant on

My only big stage gripe is stage 12. It was basically impossible for a left handed shooter to compete on that stage, due to the placement of one target. We had to shoot in the least time efficient manner. Don't get me wrong, I am accustomed to having to "suck it up" as a lefty and normally its not really an issue. Stage 12, with that one target, was one of those rare stages that really screwed us lefties. This could have been so simply addressed by either moving the target or placing a mirror target on the left side of the stage so both lefties and righties were screwed ;) I ended up with a foot fault due to that target and a time which was not competitive due to having to shoot the stage in a undesirable sequence.

/rant off

First time at the FL Open first match in USPSA, but been shooting a lot in Canada level 2 and 3......great match difficult in it's own way.

Strangly while I did poorly at this match stage 12 was my best......and I'm a left hand open shooter ;)

Price is stiff but I appreciate the fact that the targets were change pretty often which can be costly for that many stages and that amount of shooters, I have paid as much before for a lot less.

Overall see you at the next FL Open, no match will ever be perfect but I can truly say that we both (wife and I) enjoy shooting it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record regarding stage 10 we were specifically told it was a procedural per shot to 'straddle' between two boxes. We shot that stage Sun morning so either a lot of posters here didn't here the WSB correctly or it changed during the match. This made a pretty big difference on how to approach the stage. I would guess a second or two.

The course description did change during the match. Rosie came over while our squad was doing the walk-through and he admitted that the course description did change on Sunday. So while the RO's were previously stating that you could not be in two boxes at the same time (foot faulting in the traditional manner).....the course description was changed to say that you must shoot at least ONE target while completely in a single box. Definitely a BIG difference.