Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading a Saiga

mikegot38

I am new to the Saiga 12 world and have several questions. If someone can help I would appreciaite it.

First, can you insert the loaded Saiga 10 round mag into the gun with the bolt closed? I can do it with an empty mag but not with any rounds in it. If not how do you get the gun loaded safely? Second, during a match, how do you reload a full mag with any speed (and safefly) since the bolt does not lock back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Yes you can load the 10 round mag on a closed bolt it does take some practice, you need to insert mag so as to compress the top round in the mag then you can rock and lock the mag in place. Check your mags to see if you have gen2 followers they are marked if not the legs of gen1 followers can be dremeled down a good bit to give you a little more room to compress the top round on the reload. Also the bottom of the bolt needs to be polished/relieved some to make the loading process a little smoother as well. I think PaulW posted some pictures of this somewhere on this forum. There is some light at the end of the tunnel as well as a new magwell is getting close to being released to allow straight mag insertion ala AR-15 mags.

I was playing with my buddies Saiga last weekend. If you're a lefty you may have an advantage. While the stock is still in your left shoulder pocket reach over with your left hand and hold the bolt back. You're basically pulling the gun into your shoulder using the bolt. Using your right hand insert the magazine (it goes in much easier on an open bolt as I'm sure you know), as you let go with your left hand it chambers a round. It was pretty quick this way and more reliable for me than getting a mag to seat on a closed bolt.

Edited by Filishooter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just for fun.

The secret to reloading is the AGP Gen-2 "rebuild kit"($10 from AGP) or the Gen-2 magazine. I tried to modify my "Gen-1" parts, but was not able to match the follower, which is thinner.

The second secret is shaving the bolt and bolt holder.

The third secret is storing your mags upright in your pouch. My pouches are in front of me. I grap the top half of the mag, while pushing the extended magazine release. I use my fist to knock the empty out and rock and lock. 2.5 seconds shot to aimed shot. Grabbing the top half gives much more control and power in the rock and lock move.

Oh yeah, I had to practice. I went to the range every day for 4 weeks. Load 3 rounds, beep, shoot steel, reload full mag, aim shoot. 50 rounds every day. Took two weeks to get under 4 seconds.

• 1 month later...
Just for fun.

The secret to reloading is the AGP Gen-2 "rebuild kit"($10 from AGP) or the Gen-2 magazine. I tried to modify my "Gen-1" parts, but was not able to match the follower, which is thinner.

The second secret is shaving the bolt and bolt holder.

The third secret is storing your mags upright in your pouch. My pouches are in front of me. I grap the top half of the mag, while pushing the extended magazine release. I use my fist to knock the empty out and rock and lock. 2.5 seconds shot to aimed shot. Grabbing the top half gives much more control and power in the rock and lock move.

Oh yeah, I had to practice. I went to the range every day for 4 weeks. Load 3 rounds, beep, shoot steel, reload full mag, aim shoot. 50 rounds every day. Took two weeks to get under 4 seconds.

As always... its all about the practice. Well done