Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland 002 question

tzahoy

I'm sure someone here has an answer for me, and I haven't found it by searching. Does anyone know whether the regular 002 is compatible with a full lug N frame? I noticed there's a special one listed for 10 oz. underlugs. I'd really like to be able to use one of these with my 6" full lug 29, and my 5" 625. If it worked with my K38 that would be a further bonus.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations on which would be best?

Thanks!

I've been using a Safariland 002-02 S&W holster for my S&W 6" bbl 686 for 5 years now. That gun is an L frame and has a full underlug. That model number holster isn't used anymore, but it's tactical black kydex, right hand, and was supposed to be for all S&W K & L frame revolvers, up to 6" bbl. [it might have covered N frames as well, but I suspect it would be a bit snug for their cylinders. I did remove that nose loop at the front, as I didn't want it catching on the front sight during draws. I've also used the holster with my Model 29 4" bbl [K frame], and that works fine, too.

If anything, it holds the guns too aggressively, if you are used to one of the trigger guard retention systems. Actually, I'm considering going to one of those types in order to speed up my draw a little bit.

Please note that their 002 holsters come left and right hand, basketweave and tactical kydex finishes. Those options are specified by the third number in the model number. The second number is apparently related to the gun sizes the holster will handle, and Call them and they'll tell you which model would best fit your guns.

I've been using a 002 Safariland Cup holster with a full undrlug 6.5" 610 for several years. It fits in there just fine. I did remove the little strap thing that goes over the front site after losing my front sight 2 or 3 times. Those little blades are like $35 each. I did trim some of the holster so that the gun comes out faster.

Hi.

I used the Safariland 002 in a match, no worries about accidentally dropping your gun :rolleyes:

retention is strong.....

It fits OK, I kept the front sight cover on since the 5 in barrel is not near it anyhow.

625_Safariland-002.gif

Edited by RogerT

Roger,

You were a lot more aggressive with your Dremel than I was. I hope nobody gives you any grief about the partially exposed trigger guard.

It does help to do some material removal and smoothing of the Kydex edges.

BTW, I remember somebody had created a cam-like arrangement to replace the solid sleeve around the post at the stud just in front of the cylinder. This acted like a locking device. In normal position, it had great retention. With the cam activated by an external lever attached to the bolt somehow, the lips of the holster were forced open slightly, which reduced the effort necessary to pull the gun out.

I wish I'd bought one when I first saw it, and now I can't find it. Anybody know where they might be found?

I got one for my 6" 686 like 10yrs ago to shoot bianchi cup, and last summer started using it for my 6.5" 610 for USPSA. I did heat it up a bit and spread it open so I could get tha 610 out with out killing myself. It still fits the 686 well and it will even work for my new Taraus Tracker 22 that I havent even got to shoot yet.

Roger, You were a lot more aggressive with your Dremel than I was. I hope nobody gives you any grief about the partially exposed trigger guard.

I have always interpreted the rule that as long as the trigger itself is not exposed/accessible, you are good to go? With today's race holsters part of trigger guard is always exposed.

But the question is of course what rule set you are referring to, I know this has been discussed by PPC shooters here in Sweden, for IPSC purposes this is not an issue.

That gadget for the Safariland holster sounds interesting, I'd like one too!