Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confident shooting

spook

Grab a beer because this is going to be a post which you will probably understand better after a beer or two :)

I shot my first match in about a year yesterday. On the way to the match I noticed all sorts of stuff going through my mind. I've played with the whole mental game thing for a long time and have come to the conclusion that shooters who are just plain positive and have the "smallest" mental game are the most succesful. I noticed that shooters who are really into the whole mental management are ironically also the guys who screw up because of it. So, I blocked it all out and told myself:

"The only plan I have is to wait until I see the front sight settle in the notch on every shot"

I shot a pretty decent match. I shot about 15 C's out of 100 shots.

I saw my FS in the notch on all shots where I needed to and on the close stuff (arms lenght up to 5yds) I had a clean target focus.

I lost the match on speed, not points. The other guy shot about 15% faster.

This made me think. How can I increase the speed of shooting? What do I need to practice?

I know exactly where I lose time. It is in recognizing the sight picture. I take too much time to "see what I need to see".

It's like I need too much certainty to make the shot. Like I am too afraid to not call my shot correctly. It's definately a confidence issue.

I have been working on my index (Stock Glock) for about 6 months. Most of my dry-fire practice consists of doing index and transition drills and drawing the gun to get comfortable with my shooting platform. I have developed a nice platform, but I find it hard to have a 100% consistency. About 5% of the times I present the gun on the target, I don't have a perfect sight picture. I am working on this.

So, I lack confidence and I am now trying to find a way to make it go away with practice. The question is HOW?

I am definately going to do some analyzing on and off the range, but any advice to increase confidence/sight recognition is welcome.

One thing that I started doing last year was dryfiring with my eyes closed to check my index. After a warm up period say first 10 draws try one at full speed with your eyes closed. Just look at the target, hit the timer close your eyes and snap it out. Open your eyes and see where the sites are. Are they in the A zone? If not adjust accordingly to get it there. It's a tool that I use to see where my index is and built some confidence. Use it at the range if you like. It will give you the confindence "I can make this shot with my eyes closed". And you'll know you index is dead on. Hope this helps. Oh and I think BE had this drill in his book.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Chris, I am already working on this drill on a daily basis. I have about 95% consistency with this. 1 out of 20 presentations my sights aren't correctly alligned. The other 19 times I have a perfect sight picture.

It's a good drill to learn the "feel" for indexing. But I think it's also a drill that doesn't put much emphasis on getting the shot over with fast.

I am working on extremely fast and wide transitions right now, as an extension of that drill.

Bjorn,

hope this gem from BE helps you: it was meant to teach how to apply visual patience, but it can work the reverse as well, teaching you how to recognize a good sight picture (the one that you can confidently use to hit a target) in the least amount of time.

And I won't say "do a search" :ph34r:

Edited by Skywalker

Hehe, I was looking for that one Luca. Thanks (again ;))

Here's Brian's post (so you don't have to open another window/tab:

This came to me "all at once" yesterday. Since then I've been thinking about how to explain it, and although I'm not really sure I can I'll give it a shot.

Before you can benefit from applying visual patience in a match, you have to thoroughly train every aspect of it in practice. By "every aspect" I mean you have to know what you have to see to hit any target you might have to shoot. What you "have to see" means you have to consciously recognize that you saw whatever it was you needed to see - before you pull the trigger. (Or at worst, as the shot as actually firing. That's a bit more dangerous but sometimes that's how it happens.)

All the following examples illustrate what I have to see to know I'm hitting the target as the shot is firing. To know, as the shot is firing, that I would hit a 18 x 24" steel rectangle every time at 7 yards, I have to see the "top of the gun" on the target. (It's so easy, on that type of target, just to "point and blast" toward the target without seeing even that.) To hit the A box on an IPSC target at 7 yards, I have to be looking right at the outliine of the A box, then see the sights (or "the top of the gun") peripherally inside it. To hit the A box at 15 yards, I have to see the A box, and then see the sights aligned in it. To hit a 8" plate at 25 yards, the most important thing to see is a stopped, sight alignment, with a razor sharp front sight, in the middle of the target. To hit the A box at 50 yards, I need to see a "paused," (as opposed to just "stopped") razor sharp front sight alignment in the middle of the target.

So once you know what you need to see to hit any target you might have to, you can begin applying visual patience in competition. At this point what you're doing is commonly called visualization. But for now, I'm only going to go into how and what to visualize related to visual patience. (Or in other words, I will leave out visualizing drawing, movement, reloads, etc.)

You must create a visual plan for every shot in the stage. Say you'll shoot targets that require two hits: You'll visualize what you'll see for the first shot and what you'll see for the second shot. These will be two completely different visualizations.

Once you've visualized what you will see, for each shot in the stage, shooting with visual patience means you wait until you recognize that you see each shot's plan finish before you shoot.

Visual patience doesn't just mean that you wait to see a "sight picture" before you shoot or begin shooting; it means you wait to see whatever it is that you need to see to know you made the shot before you pull the trigger - for each shot.

When done continuously, visual patience is a tremendously powerful tool.

After you reach that level, the "waiting time" (part of visual patience) decreases, as you become more accepting of the fact that this the only thing you need to be doing so it is the only thing you are doing. Eventually there is no feeling of "waiting" because what is happening is the direct manifestation of what you visually created beforehand.

But until you reach that level of no-doubt, the concept of visual patience helps us to "wait for it" - due to our tendency to always rush.

be

I guess I'm having someissues figuring out what it is I need to see on different types of targets.

I also wonder if I should keep some kind of database of different types of targets I can encounter in a match.

But man, that post by Brian just about nailed it :)

PS, I have noticed that I began to dislike the phrase "see what you need to see". It is used (quoted) so often on these forums and has basically lost all meaning to me. I read this post by forum member Overhung and he put to words what I have been thinking for quite some time. "See what you need to see" is often the "End of thread" comment used here. It's treated like the one thing it all comes down to. And it probably is, but to me it is not nearly as specific as I would like.

Edited by spook

As usual, following one of Brian's posts is like finger painting over the top of a Rembrandt. But here goes...

First off, I feel kind of awkward offering suggestions to one of the most accomplished revolver shooters on the planet. However, from reading your post, I really can relate to what you are going through. As a shooter who came to USPSA from a precision shooting background, it took me a long time to just stop obsessing over the sights. I developed speed when I realized:

1. I will never see a shot in a USPSA match that I can not easily make. I have no need to delvelop any more accuracy, although I do end practice sessions with group shooting to maintain proficiency. Developing the ability to acquire perfect sight alignment and perfect sight picture are not even considerations.

2. For me (flame proof suit on), there is a difference between perfect sight alignment and perfect sight picture. Perfect sight alignment is only required for difficult shots, perfect sight picture is required for all shots. The issue is knowing what constitues the perfect sight picture. Of course, what I am talking about is visual acceptability. Am I seeing what I need to see to make and call the shot? Seeing more than what is required takes time and drags me from the realm of awareness back into classical concentration. Classical concentration makes me think about stuff like sights and trigger pull, as opposed to simply shifting focus and awareness.

So, the goal became one of knowing what I really need to see to make the shot. In a very real sense, I had to redefine what I consider "good enough". My breakthough came while watching a training video (can't recall which one but I think an Avery video) in which the instructor spoke about misaligning the sights on purpose to see what happens. I tried all kinds of misalignment at about 10 yards, like the front sight on the left of the notch, pistol on the right side of the A box, front sight too high and off to one side but in the center of the A box and so on. Of course, all of the hits were "good enough". That's when the light bulb began to flicker. At first I misinterpreted what I learned by thinking I could let my sight alignment and position of the sights on the target wander and still get the hit. I shot for a while letting my time on the sights erode until I eventually arrived at seeing nothing and just blasting at brown.

Then the light began to burn a bit brighter and I finally got a handle on visual acceptability. I knew exactly what the realtionship of the sights and bore had to be to the target face to be "acceptable". I suspect I knew all along what I needed to see, but I just wasn't letting myself settle for anything that was less than perfect. I was judging my shooting in the moment instead of letting myself just run the gun. As I built speed, the opposite problem reared it's ugly head...visual patience. I would see what I knew to be unacceptable, but I mashed on the trigger anyway.

Now I think some of us fall into the trap of analysis paralysis. It's great to have a deep understanding of what we do when we run the gun. But eventually, if we are going to be worth a toot, we need to understand that along about M class many of us know what is acceptable (visually) and what is not (through experience) and we just need get the heck out of our own way and observe the shooting from the driver's seat and go for those A's as quickly as possible. It took me a long time to realize an A is anywhere in the A box. A piece of steel down is steel down.

Now, without coming off like a jerk...are you sure the time you are searching for is trigger time and not a lack of efficiency some where else?

Edited by Ron Ankeny

You say you lost on speed. Well, was that speed of shooting...of overall stage speed?

It's really hard to quantify unless you can put some numbers and standards out as examples.

Chances are that you are shooting fine, just coming into the postion hard and leaving late???

On another forum that I go to, there are a bunch of smart members (it's more training and MMA than it is strictly guns). A Big theme there is to get the gun up into the "foveal cone" as soon as possible. Which roughly translates into presenting the gun out along your line of vision. That way, you have your best vision already seeing the gun being presented to the target.

First off, I feel kind of awkward offering suggestions to one of the most accomplished revolver shooters on the planet.

Well, that one brought a mile to my face. Thanks Ron, but I'm starting to think that revolver shooting has made me slower in a way. I won so much time doing faster reloads than other shooters, that I was never pushed to shoot at the limits of my speed.

I developed speed when I realized:

1. I will never see a shot in a USPSA match that I can not easily make. I have no need to delvelop any more accuracy, although I do end practice sessions with group shooting to maintain proficiency. Developing the ability to acquire perfect sight alignment and perfect sight picture are not even considerations.

2. For me (flame proof suit on), there is a difference between perfect sight alignment and perfect sight picture. Perfect sight alignment is only required for difficult shots, perfect sight picture is required for all shots. The issue is knowing what constitues the perfect sight picture. Of course, what I am talking about is visual acceptability. Am I seeing what I need to see to make and call the shot? Seeing more than what is required takes time and drags me from the realm of awareness back into classical concentration. Classical concentration makes me think about stuff like sights and trigger pull, as opposed to simply shifting focus and awareness.

I like 1. Realizing this must have been a tremendous confidence boost.

So, the goal became one of knowing what I really need to see to make the shot. In a very real sense, I had to redefine what I consider "good enough". My breakthough came while watching a training video (can't recall which one but I think an Avery video) in which the instructor spoke about misaligning the sights on purpose to see what happens. I tried all kinds of misalignment at about 10 yards, like the front sight on the left of the notch, pistol on the right side of the A box, front sight too high and off to one side but in the center of the A box and so on. Of course, all of the hits were "good enough". That's when the light bulb began to flicker. At first I misinterpreted what I learned by thinking I could let my sight alignment and position of the sights on the target wander and still get the hit. I shot for a while letting my time on the sights erode until I eventually arrived at seeing nothing and just blasting at brown.

Then the light began to burn a bit brighter and I finally got a handle on visual acceptability. I knew exactly what the realtionship of the sights and bore had to be to the target face to be "acceptable". I suspect I knew all along what I needed to see, but I just wasn't letting myself settle for anything that was less than perfect. I was judging my shooting in the moment instead of letting myself just run the gun. As I built speed, the opposite problem reared it's ugly head...visual patience. I would see what I knew to be unacceptable, but I mashed on the trigger anyway.

You just made my practice plan for the next couple of months. I am going to work with this. Awesome stuff.

Now, without coming off like a jerk...are you sure the time you are searching for is trigger time and not a lack of efficiency some where else?

:lol:

Well, that is definately something I have to check out. I think so. Though I must admit that I am still getting used to my DOH holster and I have lost time on unloaded starts (something I haven't practiced in dry fire a lot). But my splits still suck. I was hoping that was a revolver thing, but I still don't get under .20, even with the close stuff.

As usual, following one of Brian's posts is like finger painting over the top of a Rembrandt. But here goes...

After reading your entire post, I beg to differ. This has to be one of the most enlightening things I have read on the subject. Ever. Posts like this is what brought me to these forums about 7 years ago and somthing I have missed a lot lately.

You say you lost on speed. Well, was that speed of shooting...of overall stage speed?

It's really hard to quantify unless you can put some numbers and standards out as examples.

Chances are that you are shooting fine, just coming into the postion hard and leaving late???

Yes, I realized that I wasn't being very specific. I'll work on some standards and see if I can post some useful numbers.

The more I think of it, the more I feel it is a lack of agression. Especially on field courses, it's like I lack the drive to really tear the stage up. This will manifest itself in slower shooting, but also in all othert aspects of shooting a stage.

A Big theme there is to get the gun up into the "foveal cone" as soon as possible. Which roughly translates into presenting the gun out along your line of vision. That way, you have your best vision already seeing the gun being presented to the target.

It's funny that you mention that. A shooting buddy told me the same yesterday, not really directed towards me. I think I already do this, but I'll check it at the range. See if someone will record my runs.