Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclips for PPC

JAB

any one know if you Can use moonclip instead of speedloader when shooting a PPC Match

There is no prohibition on what you use. The ammo must be on your person that is it. When I started in PPC, we were still loading from loops!

The most shots in any stage is 24. So a loaded cylinder to start and 3 loaders and your there.

MJ

1490 Club!

My understanding, if it came with moon clips you were good to go at any of the police matches. If not, well there are Comp III's. PPC's , well there are more customized guns than factory.

PS: Talked to few PPC shooters and asked them the same question. Their response was they could not see why not but suggested you check the rule book to confirm. Again on most of the regular police matches, a production moon clipped gun is ok but not necessarily a conversion.

Edited by coldchar

I shoot PPC regularly and moon clip convertions are permitted. I've never seen anybody use them.

The problems with a moon clip conversion is that PPC has a high round count, so you'd need a lot of moons ready to go (to slow to unclip and re-moon between matches). Also the time limits in PPC are generous, so there's no need for super fast reloads. PPC ammo is typically 148 gr. HBWC, which doesn't reload quickly on the floppy, skinny .38 moons.

Comp III loaders are FAST, just watch a guy who knows how to use them (Bubber?) Plus they hold the bullets tight, so it's easier to get the HBWC's into the charge holes. They're also easy to recharge between matches, esp. if you have a loading block.

My brother-in-law uses a 4" 625 in the Service Weapon match (which used to be my gun, which I should have NEVER sold :angry2: ), but he uses it for the wide .45 SWC bullet (better scores) and the superb accuracy of the gun. Not the speed reload of moon clips.