Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magpul p-mags

rishii

has anyone tried to keep a p-mag loaded long term without using the mag cover?

did it affect the feed lips, or does the cover just keep the dust out

I have 6 that are fully loaded that I keep with the rifle. Seems like the cover also keeps pressure off the lip as well as keep dust out. I have had no problems out of them.

Chris C.

thanks guy

I'm asking because I'm thinking about using some for my work gun.

I keep 1 mag loaded in the gun, and a 2nd in a readymag, and the need for the mag cover puts me off on the idea.

Lawman if you could ask the magpul guys, I would appreciate it.

I talked to Doug Smith at Magpul. He said that they are primarily to keep the dust out and keep the feed lips in place. I asked about using them for duty in the gun and in a Redi mag (Same setup I use). He said that there shouldn't be any problems. Same info that Chriss has about the storage. He said that they have kept one loaded for over a year and the feed lips haven't moved. Sounds like there shouldn't be any problems. I'll be switching over at our rifle update this week.

Chriss and lawman

thanks for the info

since I posted this, I looked in the redi-mag and found a sheet metal tab in there to press the rounds down, away from the feed lips. I've also measured the feed lips on 1 mag, and loaded it 30 round, stuck in the bag it came in, minus the dust cover. I'll check it in 6 months to see if any rounds popped out or if the feed lips deformed in any way.