Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting Glock 34 To 17

pwalker

I normally shoot an STI in IPSC open division but occassionally we have some "Limited" matches that only include Standard and Production divisions. In the past at these matches, I have used my Glock 34. But, it is not recognized as a Production division gun because of its longer barrel and less than 5lb trigger. But, I believe that, up against the tricked-up single-action 1911s, the Glock is not very competitive in Standard division. So, I want to convert my Glock 34 to a Glock 17 so that I can enter into the Production division.

I think that, all I need to do is to buy a Glock 17 barrel and a bare Glock 17 slide and I'll have everything that I need (I already have a 5lb trigger assembly) for the conversion. I believe that all the slide components (e.g. firing pin, stop plate, safty, extractor) from the 34 will fit into a bare 17 slide. And, that the combined Glock 17 slide / barrel will fit on to the Glock 34 receiver. No gun-smiting or adjustments should be required.

Before I order the barrel and bare slide, can someone here in this forum confirm that my thinking is correct?

Regards

Peter

Peter,

To the best of my knowledge your thinking is correct unless you buy an older Glock slide used. Then two potentially bad things could occur: First it might take a different extractor. (Not a big problem, order the correct one and you're back in business. The other potential problem would be a sloppy enough slide to frame fit that the trigger bar doesn't adequately engage the striker tang. End result: A glock that will double without warning. (How do I know this? I did it once. I think the fix was buying components from the same era ---- i.e. second generation slide and frame go together...)

I've got an easier answer for you , I'll trade you for the 34 , i have a 3rd gen.G17 with under 500 rnds thru it. i can take your upper or just trade guns. if you don't want to deal

with ffl licensing then we can trade uppers. i think that would be the best bet. since

the 34 is the same era as my G17.

what say you. E-mail me it your interested.

kidd

Peter,

The best solution is to shoot your G34 as a production gun. Glock 34 &35's are legal in production class. This was addressed in the Front Sight July/August 2002, page 5:

"This has been answered in previous Front Sight articles. Yes, the Glock 34/35 is legal in the US production division. IPSC has a five-inch barrel lenght provision. We do not, but the gun must fit into the IPSC box, which the 34 and 35 do."

Hope this helps!

Jason

www.magiccityactionshooters.org

Wrong. Glock 34s and 35s are NOT legal in Production division. They are legal under the U.S.-only exceptions to the IPSC rules as stated in the current edition of the IPSC rulebook. Peter specifically stated: "it (the 34) is not recognized as a Production division gun because of its longer barrel and less than 5lb trigger." This indicates that Peter is following THE rules - not the U.S. exceptions to THE rules. The World Shoot followed IPSC rules and every Glock there was required to conform to IPSC rules as to barrel under 5" and trigger pull of (I think) 4.5 lbs. - these are not the exceptions followed by USPSA where, as you point out, the 34 and 35 have been allowed. It is obvious that Peter is shooting outside of the US. It may not be as easy for him to simply order Glock parts due to U.S. export restrictions and whatever import restriction may apply in his country (which is?).

I had Caspian top end built for IDPA to fit my 35. Just because I like the shorter gun I am using the top end for production class also. The gun is my limited division gun. I could have bought a 17 cheaper than building a new top end. I just like the extra accuracy that the top end gives.

Mike

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Yes, I do live and shoot outside the US (in Thailand) and we do follow IPSC rules and therefore a Glock 34 is not allowed in Production division.

In the end, I decided to go the Glockmeister route, simply because it appears to be the easiest. A new G17 slide and barrel are on their way to me from them now. I did not need to send them the receiver because this is a "plug and play" modification. Because the G34 is only 2 years old and the G17 parts from Glockmeister are also the latest model, they should fit together out of the box.

Kidd: Thanks for the offer of a swap. I might have taken your offer except that I did not see your post until after I had placed the order with Glockmeister. Also, the hassle of importing a whole, second-hand pistol in to Thailand would probably be prohibitive. Thanks anyway.

Regards

Peter

Bangkok, Thailand