Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video camera for improving your skills

Ramas

What do you think about using video camera to film yourself in practice? Is it worth doing it? Does your performance increased by using video in practice? What camera do you use in indor range, if you do that or which one you could recommend in 300-500USD range(preffered MiniDV format)? Maybe some other useful infos? It will be used on tripod to film practice sessions mainly.

I feel that I need one, because I think it is faster to learn on your own mistakes if you can have feedback after or during practice. I'm practicing with better shooter than I am and I have a lot of useful tips, recomendations from him, but sometimes I lack attention on that, but when I can see those mistakes by myself and with feedback from better shooter I fix them faster(you know selfego :)) and also i can visualize how to fix everything.

Thank you.

P.S. I don't have interest in hosercams, because I want to concentrate on movement stuff now(movement, going in position, out of position, transitions, shooting positions and etc.) and filming in commpetions.

My "hoser" hat cam's main unit can me mounted to a tri-pod for that very reason. I think it would be a great tool for practicing. The Samsung I am using can also be used as a photo camera, video camera, MP3 player and voice recorder. I am using the voice recorder to tape shooting tips and current goals. I will upload them to the computor and then burn a CD to listen to in the car on the way to the match as well. Well worth having in my opinion. :)

Thank you Rocket35 for tip about using video camera as voice recorder on advices about shooting tips and goals. Good point!

Is your camera useful in shooting you in 5-10 metres? Is it decent video qualitty, is it enough? What about using it in indor ranges?

You can check out my videos at the link in my signature line. Your welcome about the tips about the voice recorder. There are several videos of both hatcam and regular mode. I have been using it for about a year and love it so far! Wonderful quality and easy to use. Comes with everything you need except a tri-pod and headphones. But it has a speaker that plays sound.

I have on occasion, but mainly in matches. I should do more of my practices. It has a 2GB internal memory and a 2GB external for the little cards, so there is tons of room. I could probably tape a complete year of matches on there. But I upload them to the computor and delete. The battery life is excellant also. I charge it up the night before and have plenty of juice to tape myself and others. It has an automatic shut off when it is idle.

Why you don't use it in your practice sessions? Don't you think it will show you more than you think it can? You know i want to use it as like my "mistakeometer", i think it will show my mistakes that i can fix immediatly.

I have on occasion, but with all the other stuff I haul to the range, the camera takes a back seat in priority. And as far as dryfire- I prefer to concentrate on the drill and training rather than the camera. I do it one in awhile as a "test". But find that taping my matches if more benefitial. YMMV

Yes, I agree with you, in matches you see what skills you developed they go almost subconcious, but in practice it takes maybe 2-3 minutes to correct things up. I think it is worth to do it?

I just don't want to fuss with the camera during practice. It is less of a problem at match since you are just dealing with it once per stage. In practice it seems like I am constantly turning it on and off- on and off. So then that becomes my focus instead of the training. Too much of a distraction for me. But if it works for you- go for it! ;)

Therefore I am looking for "real" camera with remote control. A partner who is behind can turn it on/of while watching you without a problem and when things goes bad you can check yourself. Or you can it switch on in beginning of practice and turn it off in the end. Then watch yourself at home

Edited by Ramas

Yeah- I used to use a conventional one with remote control and it was handy. I guess if you just hit record and then practiced then turned off when done it would work fine. It does have plenty of memory. I will have to work on doing that more in the future.

I would use mine in practice, well, IF I practiced.

:surprise:

The other third person views I have posted can be found here:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tack...amp;sitesearch=

I would have more of my posercam vids up already if my hard drive hadn't crashed. That's why it took me so long to get the OK State/Badlands Regional IDPA match footage posted to video google.

It's been taking a while for a buddy of mine to recover the data for me. Some of it is permanently lost.

BUMMER! :angry2:

So my resolution this year is to burn stuff to a DVD (data?) disc as soon as possible.

So my resolution this year is to burn stuff to a DVD (data?) disc as soon as possible.

With the standard Windows programs, Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD maker, I have been able accomplish that quite easily. It is kinda fun too. ;)