Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fixing muscle imbalances

p99shooter

A while back I tell the doc that I have back pain, right side lumbar region. Feels like a knot all the time. He says that, because my abs are too weak, my back it working too hard. He recommends exercises to strengthen abs. He didn't use the term "muscle imbalance."

Besides crunches and/or sit-ups, what would you recommend as a targeted exercises for this?

Thanks,

A while back I tell the doc that I have back pain, right side lumbar region. Feels like a knot all the time. He says that, because my abs are too weak, my back it working too hard. He recommends exercises to strengthen abs. He didn't use the term "muscle imbalance."

Besides crunches and/or sit-ups, what would you recommend as a targeted exercises for this?

Thanks,

If you have access to a certified physical therapist, I'd recommend calling around and asking to see someone who is certified in the McKenzie method. Good results.

Having someone who can evaluate you 'hands-on' is worth the time and effort.

Good luck.

Thanks,

If can find it, my doctor gave me a paperback copy of "Oh, My Aching Back". Depending on the source of the pain, it has different exercises to help strengthen the correct muscles. Its been a while since I did them, but at the time it helped.

Bill

There are several exercises for strengthening the core.

No-equipment needed

- L-sit

- Crunch

- Reverse Crunch

- Bastard Sit-up

- Sit-up

- Bridges

- Planches

- Superman

- Push-ups

- Lunges

- Levers

Equipment needed

- L-pullups

- Knees-to-elbows

- Deadlift (or any olympic lift for that matter)

- Back Extension

- Ab Wheel

- KB Swings

- Medicine Ball Slams (or general throws)

Notice I included exercises for the core (including the back). It's critical to not work muscles out in isolation (unless physical appearance is your main concern).

I highly recommend starting an overall fitness program consisting of full-body multi-joint exercises or these problems will continue to manifest themselves in other areas of your body through time.

I highly recommend starting an overall fitness program consisting of full-body multi-joint exercises or these problems will continue to manifest themselves in other areas of your body through time.

+100 Jake is spot on. I don't remember where I read it - I think it was on Gym Jones, but they stressed that we need to stop looking at individual body parts like our core or back or neck or arms or quads or whatever. We have one body. Everything works (or doesn't) together. If the whole system isn't working, then the little bits and pieces are all going to have problems.

Wow! I didn't expect to get 5 responses in uder an hour, including one from an MD and one from a GM. :bow:

I will look at all suggestions. I don't like to do things half-assed, so I can't committ to a regular exercise program that requires me to go to a gym, so the exercises that Jake listed that don't require equipment are the things I'll look at right away.

I was looking at some earlier threads and saw references to CrossFit and Gym Jones . I like the concept of both of them, but to be honest, they require more time than I have available to me. I would say that the max committment I could make is 1 hour a day at home, and that hour would probably half to be at a time where I was the only person awake. :). I'm not at a bad staring condition physically 6'1" 19 lbs, but I would love to trade some fat for muscle.

Jake, I went to crossfit.com and found videos for several of the exercises you listed, but I couldn't find any info on

Reverse Crunch

Bastard Sit-up

Bridges

Planches

Superman

Lunges

I guess I could just do a regular search of the internet, but if you had one place where I could go and find videos of these exercises, that would be great.

Twenty minutes? I could get that if I cut out checking email and surfing internet forums in the morning :P Thanks again.

Hey it's your choice. I promise I won't say I told you so either. ;)

Reverse crunch is where you curl your lower half of your body upwards towards your torso. The reverse motion of a regular crunch.

A Bastard Sit up is where you put a medicine ball (or anything that has weight) in between your feet (with your feet close to your butt) and sit up reaching as hard as you can to the ceiling. If you need support, squeeze your feet just enough to where it will allow you to get in the completed sit up position with arms extended above your head.

A Bridge similar to the push up position but on your elbows, keeping your body as stable as possible. You can also work these side to side by turning and only having one elbow on the ground.

A Planche is a supported position where your body is basically straight as a board while supporting your weight. (For example putting only your hands on the ground, tucking your elbows into your stomach and holding yourself elevated above the ground.

A Superman is laying face down on the ground with your arms stretched forward, curling both your arms and upper back and legs upwards (looks like your flying...ie. superman).

Lunges are simply walking and gently having the trailing knee touch the ground with every step. Keep your shoulders back and your upper body as stable as possible.

Thanks,

P99- Some of the suggested movements are ok as long as you do not have any history of degenerative disk disorders like Spondi, Scoli, etc... What I suggest to you is that you gradually step into the realm of these movements. Everyone starts from somewhere. Alot of these people jump into routines that could potentially hurt them. Just like shooting start out methodically rather than hosing. Also I suggest you consult your physician before starting any program and have him/her clear you.

Hope this helps.

Aristotle believed in the mean between two extremes too much and not enough.

Bridge is my favorite. To start out, do 5 sets at one minute at a time with a 30 second break between sets. You'll feel it.

Chris C.

Does this mean as many reps you can do in 1 minute, 30 sec break, repeate 5 times?

While I'm here, any opinions on using an exercise ball for some of the above exercises? I like some of the variations that I found here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user...fitness&p=r

I need to write up a daily schedule of exercises. Many years ago I was on a traditional program, where muscle groups where alternated each day. (Monday was chest, triceps and quads, Tuesday was back, biceps and hamstrings, etc.) Is this still a recommended practice?

A bridge is a static hold.

Medicine balls are absolutely fantastic. I listed those under exercises that need equipment.

I don't recommend that practice at all. It breeds isolation and inefficiency. Go with compound multi joint exercises. Check out some of the CF WODs (Workout Of the Day) for a good idea of how to arrange programs.