Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 153 gr lead

dukhunt

HI fellow shooters, A friend cast some bulletsfor me to try in production. These are 153 gr round nose lead . After we sized and lubed them, they measured .356 in dia. Did a search, but could not find any load data for this heavy of a bullet. I loaded 2.9 gr. of Titegroup, at 1.145 OAL, went to the chrony thinking I would be about 130 PF. To my suprize, MY results were,,,,, 146 PF. IS titegroup to fast of a powder for this heavy bullet? Any other powder choices for this bullet? These were shot in a 5" XD tact. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

I've shot a ton of 147s in the 9, using 2.7 to 2.9 of Titegroup or Bullseye. Just be careful, as some 9mm guns don't like fast powders and lead bullets. If you see keyholing, that gun wants a slower powder.

Here's what Hodgdon shows for data, albeit with a jacketed 147:

147 GR. HDY XTP 147 Titegroup .355" 1.100" OAL 3.2 gr 855 fps 22,500 CUP 3.6gr 929 fps 27,500 CUP

With lead, and 2.7 to 2.9,. you can't be running much more than 20,000 PSI. With a pressure ceiling of 34,000, you've got lots of room.

I have some 150 LSWC and 160 LRN left over from the early days of 38 Super before we had supported barrels. We also shot these in 9mm as steel loads. I pulled out a box of the 9mm reloads and they are 150 LSWC with 4.7 WW540. These 150 LSWC are my SIG226's favorite load.

Steve Monneypenny did testing with those bullets. I have also used them over a light load of bullseye. I don't know what Steve was using off the top of my head.

Hi Bob! We shot some of those at Shooters one night many moons ago; IIRC, it was V V N310 powder. Solo 1000 would also likely work - or a slower burning powder to start (4756 comes to mind).

PS - Bob, I have your barrel & can mail it to you at your convenience. LMK. D.