Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Grip Plugs

Skywalker

This weekend I was ROing during a match and a competitor asked me this question on Production Division (under IPSC rules).

Are those plugs to fill the open pocket at the rear of the Glock grip frame (like this) legal in Prod?

I suspect that, bearing in mind VP's ultimate statements about legal guns in Prod, the answer would have been no, and that's what I told the competitor, but I'd like to get your valuable opinion.

And Luca wins a Kewpie Doll for his correct answer !!

No, the plugs which are inserted into the backstrap of Glocks are not legal for IPSC Production Division because they are not an option available from the factory.

Vince,

USPSA does not use the "option from factory" rule, else we would not be able to alter sights, but your answer is correct nonetheless. At Factory Gun Nationals, 2002 I queried Mr. Amidon face to face regarding the grip plugs. His response: "They are not legal." When I asked why, his response was, and I QUOTE: "We had to draw the line somewhere." I quietly left for the nearest safety area to remove the plug.

Best regards

Butch

Butch,

Welcome to the BE Forums and thanks for your comments.

Even under IPSC rules you're entitled to change your sights provided the type of sights you intend to use are offered by the original equipment manufacturer for that particular model gun.

This means (using a Glock 17 as an example), you can use "aftermarket" three dot sights (regular, adjustable or tritium), because all those types are offered by Glock on their G17. On the other hand, under IPSC rules you cannot use "ghost ring" or "fiber-optic" sights, because they are not available from the OEM.

However under USPSA rules, I understand that fiber-optic sights are allowed provided they comply with the "square notch and post" restriction.

McOliver,

Before David Sevigny fired a single shot at WSXIII, he asked the Range Master to inspect the Heinie sights on his Glock 17 pistol in order to confirm that they were legal for IPSC Production Division.

Apart from the fact that the sights on David's gun were of the same type offered by Glock on their pistols, David produced a letter signed by Chris Edwards of Glock Inc. in Smyrna, Georgia confirming Glock were offering Heinie sights as an option on all model Glock pistols.

Under the circumstances, the Range Master confirmed that David's gun was indeed legal.

Do you disagree?