Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aristocrat in ICORE

JamesLovesJammie

I have never used/seen one in person, but I am considering getting an Aristocrat sight rib on a 686 for use in ICORE/IPSC. What do you guys think? Can a target get acquired quickly by them, or are they only better if long range is used, ie. Bullseye or PPC?

Do they work well indoors and outdoors? We shoot matches both.

I love the look of the sight and matching underlug! They just look sophisticated!

Thanks for your help!

James

The Bomar Aritocrat is the King of sights for PPC because you are shooting at both 25 & 50 yds. This adds 6+ oz to your gun and must be put on by a competent gunsmith (@$250). The large blade Millet sight and SDM fiber optic sight adds no weight, can be seen much quicker, and will cost >$100 and you can install these. I cut my rear blade to a squared .250" yes, 1/4" as ICORE, Steel, and IPSC are about speed not making a nice small group :-)

Aristocrat, BO-MAR, Davis, Wichita, Powers and other "ribs" more often than not have the two flanking blades on either side of the front sight blade. Without the flanking blades, when acquiring a sights and target, if you see the front sight post, put it in the middle and proceed.

With flanking blades at front sight on the ribs, in the same scenario as above, you "may" have picked up one of the flanking blades "instead" of the front sight. I find this to be a distraction on the quick shots, and if it happens, you just lost unnecesary points, or you lost time correcting it. After you have done it once or twice, you tend to second guess all quick sight acquisitions to make sure. A rib without such blades whether purchased or removed would probably be a good idea, or no rib at all depending on the weight and balance you want.

Martin

JLJ, One thing you might want to look at is that, if I'm not mistaken, a sight rib will put you in open.

6. A revolver must compete in the Open Division if it has one or more of the following modifications:

A. Compensating, venting, or metering ports of any kind.

B. An optical sight including telescopic and red dot sights.

C. A rib sight, a front sight that extends beyond the muzzle, or a rear sight that extends beyond or behind a factory manufactured sight's location.

D. Any barrel other than a factory barrel or a factory replacement barrel made by the revolver's manufacturer and included in the revolver manufacturer's spare parts catalog or list.

Effective January 1, 2007, rule D is revised to:

D. Any barrel other than an unaltered factory barrel or an unaltered factory replacement barrel made by the revolver’s manufacturer. Alterations to the barrel other than what is required to safely install the barrel are not permitted in Limited Division. (Revised 2/16/06)

E. An underlug, barrel weight, grip weight, or any other modification designed to increase the weight of the revolver.

But I did shoot with an Aristocrat prior to ICORE and as Allgoodhits pointed out I picked up the outside blades instead of the sight rib. UHM!! I wonder if they would work as lead for the moving targets in Bianchi.... oh well. Later rdd

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I come from more of a target/long range/handgun hunting background. My current gun is a 8 3/8" 686-5 that I shoot quite well. I have had a PDP3 on it since 2001 that I just took off to start shooting ICORE. I realize that this gun in pretty long for this type of game, and I was looking at having a 5 or 6" barrel put on it. With a shorter barrel, I was thinking of getting thinner sights to help facilitate a more accurate hold. I have been shooting at a new range at 20 yards and have only been able to shoot around 4" groups offhand. When I shoot outdoors at 25 yards, I can cut them to 2.5-3". I have a hard time with the factory red ramp indoors. My gun doesn't have interchangable front sights.

I am aware that different sights/barrel combos would put me in open, but so would a different barrel.

Other things planned are a moonclip conversion, Nill grips, trigger job, forcing cone cut for cast bullets and set to .004".

Anyone see any problems with any of these choices? I am totally open to opinions and options.

Thanks again! I do appreciate all the comments so far!

James