Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bifocals question? Is this the right Rx for my eyes?

boo radley

Maybe I need 3 pair of shooting glasses??? (1 for pistol, 1 for rifle/shotgun, 1 for Skeet/Sporting clays).

There has to be a better way though!

Mike

My eyes are crap. I've been wearing mono vision contacts for a couple of years now and it works great. Nothing is going to work as well as good eyes but we do what we have to do.

I have three different contact prescriptions.

(1) Left eye-non dominant eye 1st Rx= infinity always

(2) Right eye-dominant eye 2nd Rx= focus at 24inches (distance to my front sight) for shooting limited, production, and whatever else works.

(3) Right eye-dominant eye 3rd Rx= infinity for that eye. For use with all red dot sights, rifle and pistol.

For 2-gun matches I've been shooting open with red dot on both guns. So I can leave my (infinity) contact in. I have had to change contacts between stages but try not to do that as it takes the eyes time to adjust. For shotgun, I have used all combinations and would probably choose not to wear any contact in dominant eye. But if it were to much of a hassle to remove the contact that I already had in, I wouldn't worry about it. Scoped rifles, I don't wear contact in domonant eye as the magnification of the scope is fine.

During daily life, at work, driving, etc., I only wear the left contact for distance as I have yet to find a right contact that allows me to focus mid range and close up at the same time. I need to read tape measure all day and make cuts so I can't have my focus at 24 inches. I have another Rx for close up (less than 24inches) but I don't use it because then I have no mid-range focus. So it works for me to just wear one contact. If I need to see really close I have reading glasses that I use with or without contacts in. When I get home, any/all contacts come out. As I only need to see close to mid-range and give my eyes a rest.

It gets confusing some times and I definately have to label the contact boxes. Should of listened to my Mom years ago when she told me what I was doing would make me go blind :unsure: