Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B Primer Issues... HELP needed!

I am not sure why you are having primers sticking in the tube though but may be caused by the pin as well. I would run a pipe cleaner with some cleaner through it just in case.

Thanks, it looks like it's the white pin. The primer tube issues have been caused by me re-using the same primers over. I have a bunch of spent primers laying around and occassionaly a spent primer or deformed primer gets accidently picked up and clogs the tube. I'm going to be much more careful in the future. I need to contact Dillon now and gets some more tubes and a couple of those white pins so I have at least one spare for the future.

I am not sure why you are having primers sticking in the tube though but may be caused by the pin as well. I would run a pipe cleaner with some cleaner through it just in case.

Damn, just measured mine (.91), looks like it's not the pin (works out to 23 mm).

P1010282.jpg

This is what it should look like with the handle in the down position, notice the plastic pin pushing out. I don't think your primer bar is going back far enough, try bending the wire, so that the primer bar is fully extended.

Will.

Progress???

Ok, I bent the rod slightly. I'm getting the metal leaf spring to bend out at the bottom of the stroke.

IMGP0296.jpg

I still have a bit of play left, and I'm still getting the primer dump onto the primer bar

imgp0295.jpg

OK, so the white pin is sticking out on the bottom of the stroke :)

I'm still getting multiple primer drops so it looks like it's out of adjustment. I'm dropping in a single primer at a time while the press is on the bottom of the stroke. The white pin is back so it "should" fall into the cup when adjusted properly correct? It's missing the cup, I've put the adjustment pin so it's flush on the inside and starting to turn it in 1/4 turn strokes to try to find the spot where it falls into the ciup. With the primers falling behind the cup (towards the white pin), this seems to be counterintuitive. Am I on the right track on going off on a tangent?

sorry chrisk,, I guess I misread,, I thought your primers were dropping out as soon as you added them,,,, I think you are right and it is an adjustment problem,,,,,,, good luck and I hope you have a little hair left by the time you get it going

Thanks Blue, I just need to figure it out. Often all the primers do fall onto the bar as soon as I pour it. If I leave the press on the downstroke, the primers stay up there until I cycle the machine, then they all come down again. I guess it's back to reading the Dillon FAQ to see what I'm missing.

SUCCESS!!! :cheers:

It was a bunch of little things adding up. I couldn't have done it without everyone's help! The wire spring going to the primer bar need to be bent for some additional tension. Once done, the white pin backed out as it was supposed to. The leaf spring for the pin was a bit loose, so I tightened it up some and that seemed to be the proper tension. I also put a dab of grease on the head of the pin. The alignment issue was resolved when I yanked the assembly off the machine and eye balled the alignment! So far, I've gotten 5 primers in a row!

Thanks!

:sick: OK,

That was quick. I've started reloading and I'm getting a primer every other case. It seems to prime best when there is no case in station 1. Is there a simple fix? It seems like it's related to the bullet plate tension. Unfortunately, the bullets start to tip outwards when the primer is seating optimally. I took the plate off and sprayed it off with air. Should I do a more thorough cleaning or am I barking up the wrong tree?

That was quick. I've started reloading and I'm getting a primer every other case. It seems to prime best when there is no case in station 1. Is there a simple fix? It seems like it's related to the bullet plate tension. Unfortunately, the bullets start to tip outwards when the primer is seating optimally. I took the plate off and sprayed it off with air. Should I do a more thorough cleaning or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If there is to much slop in the plate it will tip the case out. You should crank it down till it drags and then just back it off enough that it moves without binding. You still have an issue with your primer system... I still think that piece needs to be changed. If it's not pointed right you could very well get one every other time.....

Edited by JThompson

If there is to much slop in the plate it will tip the case out. You should crank it down till it drags and then just back it off enough that it moves without binding. You still have an issue with your primer system... I still think that piece needs to be changed. If it's not pointed right you could very well get one every other time.....

Thanks, the issue somehow seems to be related to drag on the primer bar? As long as station 1 is empty, the primer cup fills. This is great if I don't mind going half speed. Oh well, I'm going to sleep. Maybe things won't seem so bad when I get up.

One other issue that I just had is that I've been loading 4.7 grains of W231 for 9mm. I loaded about 1,000 cases of primed brass using station two while the primer system was done. I just started loading again (maybe 100 rounds) and I noticed one of the cases looked low, I checked it and it was 4.1. The next throw was fine. Is this just an abberation? That huge of a deviation really alarms me. I need to stay alert as to what is happening each time @ each station.

Thanks, the issue somehow seems to be related to drag on the primer bar? As long as station 1 is empty, the primer cup fills. This is great if I don't mind going half speed. Oh well, I'm going to sleep. Maybe things won't seem so bad when I get up.

One other issue that I just had is that I've been loading 4.7 grains of W231 for 9mm. I loaded about 1,000 cases of primed brass using station two while the primer system was done. I just started loading again (maybe 100 rounds) and I noticed one of the cases looked low, I checked it and it was 4.1. The next throw was fine. Is this just an abberation? That huge of a deviation really alarms me. I need to stay alert as to what is happening each time @ each station.

Powder fail safe problem most likely... go to bed... tomorrow's another day.

Don't know if this will help or not, but I had to replace my primer assembly a short time ago. I had some of the same issues, and I had to really tighten down the nut on top of the primer tube. I had to use a lot more pressure than I had been using on the previous primer assembly. It felt like I was really crushing the actual primer feed tube inside the housing. Once I did tighten it down, the primer feed problems went away. Might be worth a try. Good luck!

Chris I would definetly call Dillon for a new pin like Jim suggested and give them a run down of the other problems you are having. The powder issue may be if you are not performing a full stroke top to bottom can throw the weight off. I usually weigh the 10th or 20th round to double check while reloading. I have learned in the past with allot of pullet pulling.

not sure if you are still having problems or not,,, but in your first post you said you had added some graphite to the primer bar,,,It seems like I have read not to use graphite on it but not sure,,, on mine I took some steel wool to the bearing plate under the primer bar and to the primer bar itself and keep it clean. Also I had a small nick on the side of the bar (not sure what caused it) and it would hang up for a second when going back toward the shell plate,, I smoothed it out with a small file,,,,, ,,, just something to look for,, good luck

Make sure the screw for leaf spring is tighten down all the way, you want the spring to push the plastic pin back in to the body of your priming system on your upstroke.

Add a little weight to your primer push down rod. .45 acp or .45 Colt case will do nicely, that should help force the primer down even if your tube are a little dirty. Gook luck.

Will