Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bench construction

I plan on getting the 550b as soon as my bonus check comes through and have a question. My brother-in-law has a bench he made with a formica laminate top, will this material be strong enough to mount the press?

Laminate will only be as strong as the material it is glued to. If the bench top is made of 2x6 lumber, the bench doesn't flex, and the laminate is correctly installed, it shouldn't be a problem. It'll look nice and clean.

For info and ideas on loading benches go to THE MOTHER OF ALL THREADS (click here). Happy looking!

If the top is made with the "low Presser " piratical board under it you can make it strong enough by putting 3/4 plywood under the top so that you end up with 1.5" thick. The mount will "sink" into the softer top and crack the laminate but that will be OK. Under as in out of sight under , = inside the cabinet

The bigger the piece of 3/4" under the top the better if it is 16" square that would be plenty big. The thing you will have to beef up is how the top is attached to the cabinet the screws that hold the top to the cabinet is what is lacking.

I have built about 6 of them and all of them had laminate tops, but it was over 3/4 plywood and with an extra layer under that with extra blocking to attached the top to a cabinet.

The prelaminated tops you get at China Depot/homedepo will not hold up long with out extra suport.

I have used laminated kitchen counter tops on my benches. I cut a 14"x14" piece of 3/4" plywood and use it on top of the bench for the strong mounts to sit on. Then I use another piece of 3/4" plywood under the counter top and bolt everything together through all 3 layers.