Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skate tape on slide

sjz

Just read the IDPA rule book and couldn't find this specifically addressed.

For IDPA, is it ok to have skate tape on the rear of the slide on my G17 if shooting SSP. The rules do allow the following:

3. A slip-on grip sock and/or skateboard tape may be used.

8. Custom finishes may be applied.

Both of the above rules don't go into much explanation.

I've done it before but probably shouldn't have, Bruce is probably right. I don't think it gave me much of an advantage in matches (watch me shoot, it'll take more than grip tape to fix this train wreck). I put it on one day when dryfiring and it helped some. When I started shooting USPSA I had to take it off and gave up on the idea.

It does look pretty gamey though!

Edited by SDM

Skate tape is legal for SSP as it is not a permanent modification. Skate tape can be purchased cheaply and applied by anyone so it was allowed as opposed to stippling which is a permanent modification. I hope this helps.

Robert Ray

IDPA HQ

Thanks for the reply, but just to clarify: the original poster was talking about tape on the slide, not on the grip. Would tape on the slide still be OK?

The tape on the slide is the issue.

Sometimes I put very thin strips of skate tape in between the slide serrations on my G17. Currently I just have one small piece on each side of the slide at the furthest back section of the slide.

I have dry hands and put some skate tape on the rear of the slide, the functional purpose and intent is to have a better grip when I rack the slide. Of course, I could easily say that this is just a "custom finish" to look cool and match the grip.

Actually Robert Ray (aka detonics) has already answered that question twice. The answer is yes, skateboard tape on any part of the gun is A-okay. You've just gotten a definitive answer straight from IDPA HQ. Run off a copy of this email to show to anyone who might question your skateboard taped slide. ;)