Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cozumel Reef Conditions

Hi there,

A friend wants to go to Coz in March. I was wondering if anybody has been there lately. I was just wondering if the recent storms have trashed things.

TIA,

Chuck

Haven't been in awhile - last time I was there - 9 years ago or so - the reef was so busy with divers it wasn't cool anymore. Having been there 6-7 times before; first time back in the mid 80s.

It was like an interstate highway with all the reef divers drifting on by....

Hi there,

A friend wants to go to Coz in March. I was wondering if anybody has been there lately. I was just wondering if the recent storms have trashed things.

TIA,

Chuck

Haven't been in awhile - last time I was there - 9 years ago or so - the reef was so busy with divers it wasn't cool anymore. Having been there 6-7 times before; first time back in the mid 80s.

It was like an interstate highway with all the reef divers drifting on by....

I just checked the logbook. The last time I was there was in 1991. Damn, time flies. We were going to go back in October 1995 but Roxanne had something to say about that. Cancelled the trip and went to the Bahamas. It was a nice trip for a last minute thing.

Later,

Chuck

Ah, you probably remember the old SCUBA hotel, the Barracuda! Cozumel was a pretty cool place till the cruise ships came in...

You might want to check with Rhonda, via PM, "the girl" in the enosverse - she's been diving lately; and maybe to Cozumel in the last year or two.

My new favorite spot is Roatan. Pretty dang cool; and not so commercialized.

my wife and I spent our honeymoon in Cozumel in 2005. I can't say enough good things about it. We stayed at the Iberostar al inclusive resort....that's the way to go. The diving was phenominal!! we just came back from a disappointing trip to gran Cayman. The diving in Cozumel blew the Caymans away!

I went to Cozumel in June, first time since the hurricanes. The diving was still good, but not nearly the abundance of sea life that there was before Wilma - I only went on 8 dives that trip (too much drinking/partying, woo hoo!) and never saw a moray. Not one. Very weird. On certain reefs you could see signs of damage, and some were still dusted with sand. Cozumel is great for cheap-ish, short trips, but the best diving I've ever done was in Bonaire. Well worth the extra time and money to get there, IMO. B)

Have not been since 2002 & have heard from friends that they went ahead and built that stupid cement pier off Playa over citizen protest (so much for fair representative democracy in Mexico).

But, on my last trip, a hurricane shut down the ocean diving. To make the best of it, I went freshwater cave diving in the Cenotes on the mainland; you don't need a cave diving cert at all because the caves are classified as having 2 entrances (ie tunnels). It was the most fun and terrifying diving experience of my life. Highly reccommended.