Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes barrels for dpms

GentlemanJim

According to the FAQ in DPMS's forum on AR15.com, they make all their own barrels.

Then the question becomes: "How do they define 'make'?"

They could buy semi-finished barrels from another source & they simply chamber them (heck, even I have chambered 1911 barrels - but I certainly did not make them).

Or they contour, thread, add extension, chamber, crown, drill gas port, and finish someone's blank (getting closer to common definition of "make").

In the purest sense, they start with the correct steel rods from the foundry, gun-drill them, rifle them etc etc (see above).

But whatever method they use, the DPMS barrels are accurate far beyond what their price might suggest. And the support our sport. :cheers:

• 2 months later...

As far as I know they mae theri own barrels. I don't think wilson makes them cause I had a wilson match barrel and that thing didn't shoot nearly as good as any of my DPMS barrels. I have a 18" that shoots under or at 1" at 200 yards all day. For the price they can't be beat.

• 2 weeks later...
Listen to Larry. :cheers:

But DPMS says they make their own. Maybe they just buy blanks. Is that still making them???

From their own words from another forum.

Barrels – We make our own, all machining and button rifling. We make them from 2 materials, 416 stainless steel or 4140 chrome-moly. We make the following calibers;

In our A-15 rifles - 5.56 NATO, .223 Rem, .204 Ruger, 6.8SPC, and 7.62x39

In our LR rifles – 308 win, .260 Rem, .243 Win, and 300 RSAUM

But DPMS says they make their own. Maybe they just buy blanks. Is that still making them???

Barrels – We make our own, all machining and button rifling. We make them from 2 materials, 416 stainless steel or 4140 chrome-moly. We make the following calibers;

:surprise: I think they (DPMS) probably know bettter than I........

I stand corrected. :)

:surprise: I think they (DPMS) probably know bettter than I........

I stand corrected. :)

Me too------------Larry

I just ported and lightened 2 "identical" Dpms 20" stainless A3 bull barreled uppers that were ordered probably at two different times. 1 had a "D" stamp on the barrel just in front of the extension. The other had what looks like a "V" stamped half on the barrel and half on the extension which was definitely not a "D". The engraving in the front showing the caliber and twist rate looked identical. I could also swear one barrel had a darker looking stainless. Bore concentricity was off farther on the lighter colored barrel.

The uppers were different too. One had mark on the left rear just below the rail and the other did not. One required a torch to disassemble and the other was barely tight at the barrel nut.

Don't know about their barrels but their components seem to come from different sources.

Nick

I replaced my 16" COLT 1/9 barrel a year ago or so with a DPMS of the same configuration.

It outshot the COLT barrel by 1/2" or so but the markings do not include a "DPMS" or anything like that.

Now after a few rounds it still shoots fairly accurate but I have noticed some big velocity loss.

The issued FED TRU 55 BTs still shoot MOA out to 200+ yards but the velocity fell below 2800 fps...

Edited by Mick

• 12 years later...

I have a stock a DPMS LR-338 Federal that has shown very good accuracy at 100 yards shooting .338 American Eagle 180 gr. (no longer offered). For me, good accuracy is one inch MOA. The barrel is marked DPMS. Does it matter to me if DPMS hammered forged the barrel or purchased a barrel blank from a manufacturer and then worked it by rifling it, etc.? Nope. All I’m interested in is putting rounds where I want and expect them. All else is superfluous-a fancy word to mean it doesn’t mean sh*t.

• 2 months later...

Old thread I know. Around 2012 Montana barrels made the barrels for DPMS. Seems like DPMS took over and moved the equipt to Alabama. The guys that use to work for Montana reopened as X-Caliber. At least that is the story and now DPMS is DOA.

Edited by Constructor