Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Rifles

dsb45acp

Just a question for information purposes. Why don't I ever see any topics on or anyone using Browning rifles for accuracy/MOR/sniper style matches? Are there inherent problems with the design or product? Weak action or extractor? Poor trigger? Unreliable? Substandard accuracy? Lack of easy access to parts to modify or gunsmith the rifle? Too expensive? Lack of readily available dealers or support? I'm NOT trying to bash a product or manfacturer; I had to sell my Remington 700 and am considering buying a new rifle next year so I want to make an informed decision and am seeking opinions. Thanks in advance.

People tend to use gear similar to what the top dogs are using in matches, or what super smart guys like Zak Smith evaluate and write about. The winning guys aren't using Brownings or Howas. They could probably win with those rifles as a basis for a custom rig, but they aren't. Aftermarket stuff is much easier to find for the 700 as well.

Bottom line, if you want to be competitive, look at what Terry Cross, Matt Burkett, Zak, Brand Cole, etc. are using and get a rifle with similar features.

Dunno if this will matter in the future, but:

One company now owns Browning, Winchester, and FN. This is why all 3 companies make shotguns with the same basic action (Gold, Super X2 and SLP, respectively).

Believe the rifles are still different - for now.

They probably shoot well and may actually be better right out-of-the-box. I'm just guessing that most buyers of Browning rifles already think highly of Browning shotguns. The only real advantage of higher-volume rifle producers is more models and variants, as well as after-market parts if you want to customize.

Richard

I own two Browning A Bolt rifles and use them for hunting. Both are the

most accurate rifles out of the box I have ever shot. A friend and

I each bought Brownings chambered in .204 Ruger. Both shot submoa 5

shot groups out of the box. I later bought a Browning chambered in .25/06.

I had assumed that our experience with the rifles in .204 was largely due to

the calbre. As it turns out the rifle chambered in .25/06 is more accurate

than either of the first two. If I had ordered a custom rifle in .25/06 and

was delivered a gun that shot as well as my Browning does I would have

been thrilled.

Having said that, if I was going to put together a competition rifle and planned

to shoot a great deal I would be somewhat skeptical of the Brownings. The

barrels are a bit on the thin side. How this translates into barrel life I don't

know. I would prefer a heavier barrel for match shooting if for no other reason

than for stability.

Couple observations... I was at a 'smiths shop one time and he showed me a Browning A-Bolt Stalker that was in for some work or another. It was in a synthetic stock, and there was some bedding 'goo' around the recoil lug area. Note I did not say 'compound', I said 'goo'. Looked like nothing other than semi-hard rubber cement! Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Second, and this I admit is 'second' or 'third' hand... supposedly Browning uses some sort of gawd-awful high-temp epoxy to secure the barrels in place. Simple torque and a dab of Loctite apparently isn't enough. I've heard stories of people twisting receivers, ripping threads loose, etc. trying to remove barrels for re-barrel jobs. Seems like the factory intends them to be used as is, until they die, then you just buy a new one. I know most 'factories' don't like the idea of you or me or some gunsmith fiddling w/ their product from a liability standpoint, but once I buy it, it's *mine*. Anywho, these are some of the reasons tossed out anytime someone asks 'Why not Browning' for precision rifles. It's not that they aren't accurate enough or couldn't be made so... but the factory seems to go out of their way to make it difficult to work on them. When you can buy Remington or Savage rifles or receivers and get working, why bother w/ the Browning unless you are out to prove a point?