Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 w/strong mount - How high of Bench ?

bgs307

Let me first say hello to everyone...brand new to the board & new to reloading.

I have maybe a simple question...I am purchasing a dillon 650 with the strong mount and was wondering what bench height you all recommend ???

Id appreciate some ideas as to sitting height, standing height or whatever else comes to mind.

BTW Im 6'4", so I dont want to have to bend over every pull of the handle.

Thanks,

Brad

Let me first say hello to everyone...brand new to the board & new to reloading.

I have maybe a simple question...I am purchasing a dillon 650 with the strong mount and was wondering what bench height you all recommend ???

Id appreciate some ideas as to sitting height, standing height or whatever else comes to mind.

BTW Im 6'4", so I dont want to have to bend over every pull of the handle.

Thanks,

Brad

My height: 5'10"

My bench off floor: 34 1/2 inches from floor

My roller handle at the top of its arc: 50 inches from floor

Dillon 650 with strong mount

Very comfortable. I don't have to bend over to pull the handle and I don't have to get on my toes to look into the case before setting bullet.

Do a search for this. I'm too lazy to do it for you at the moment but Brian explained the correct height some time back that made a part of your body at the same height as part of the press. Like your hand at shoulder level on the upstroke (that's just an example, I don't remember for sure right now).

I'm 6' 1" and my bench top is at 37". The press handle itself is at 52" which is slightly below my shoulder. Since the primer seats at the top of the stroke I think it's important to be pushing straight back and slightly down without any weird angles. You want to be able to feel that primer seat and not be fighting the mechanism (pushing downward, upward, etc.).

I'll save you the search-effort. This is from the Dillon FAQ at Brian's store:

The answer depends on several factors: Your physical size, whether you plan to stand or sit (and how high your chair is), and whether or not your machine has the Strong Mount. With the following information, however, you can figure it out.

When seated (or if you load standing), the machine's handle (at rest, in the "up position") should be even with your shoulder.

For the 550 and the 650, without the Strong Mount and with the machine "at rest" (handle up), both handles (Ball and Roller) are approximately 7.5 to 8 inches above the bench.

The 550/650 Strong Mount raises both machines 8.5 inches off the bench.

The 650 ONLY Strong Mount raises the 650 6.5 inches off the bench.

Also consider bolting your bench to the wall if possible. Anything you can do to strengthen your bench, or the connection between your bench and the machine, is a good thing. Check out a diverse collection of various reloading bench/machine combinations

(in my forum).