Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recessed Chambers

TxD

What effect do recessed chambers have on loading with a speed loader?

Do the cartridges find their way into the recess as fast?

Do you chamfer in the same manner?

I am looking at a Model 66 and concerned that recessed chambers

might not be the way to go.

Thanks in advance.

TxD,

I find my K-frames with recessed cylinders (19 & 66) are easier/faster to load with speedloaders but they need to be cleaned more often. Just a little goo in those corners is a big problem.

I have both models both with and without recessed cylinders and I prefer the recessed. I had my 67 converted to use moonclips for the same reason, to create that recess.

You can carefuly break the edges a bit too - that helps.

Craig

Edited by Bones

TXD, I'd stay away from the recessed cylinders if possible. If your brass is just a little on the worn side at the rim you will have problems getting them to fully set in the cylinder. I have one of the old pinned barrel 29 in nickle, and had to push the last bit in. But the speedloaders were not the Comp III design. The Comp III loader will stop when the face hits the cylinder. If everything is good ie; the rim is the specified size and no crud nor dings on the outside of the rims, It would probably be ok but why chance it unless the revo is a deal. I have never seen a chamfer put on a recessed cylinder though but that would be big chamfer to over come the step. Just my opinion, worth everything you paid for it. :rolleyes: later rdd

I was talking to some guy in Arkansas last February who said the Model 19's and other K-frames with recessed cylinders are the best because you can really chamfer the outer edge. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Some of you might have heard of him. He's from northern LA and does a little revolver shooting on the side. In fact, he talked S&W into putting my initials on the 625. :rolleyes:

the other JM