Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting AR observation

Catfish

We've all heard the endless discussions about how finicky the AR platform is...

Now, I have seen an AK work 100% under some rather unusual circumstances - for instance, several years ago, I was running a fellow who was shooting an AK at a local 3 gun match. At unload and show clear, there was something clearly rattling around in the weapon. We couldn't figure out what it was causing the noise, so we broke off the top cover only to discover a loose round floating around up there!!! :surprise:

Well, at this past Sunday's IDPA match, I decided it would be fun to "fight your way to the carbine" and set up a short stage requiring 6 rounds for the pistol and 6 for the rifle. I brought my Bushy carbine and enough ammo for everyone to shoot.

Ran 20 shooters through the stage, and the rifle ran 100%.

I finally got the opportunity to clean the rifle yesterday and the first thing I noticed when I picked up the rifle was that there was a rattle that didn't belong. I double checked that it wasn't just the sling swivels and then opened up the gun. First thing I noticed is that something fell out of the upper that shouldn't have. WTF?? :surprise: I tracked down the part the fell out and after several moments of searching, found it. Turns out it was the detent pin that holds the buffer in place. Now I have to find the damn spring!! After searching with no luck on the floor I pick up the rifle and give it a good once over. The damn spring had settled right on top of the gas tube.

Once I figured out what was loose, I knew instantly what I had done to cause it to happen - I had contemplated trading out the Ace stock for a collapsable one - got half way through and changed my mind. The detent spring had to have come loose at that time.

Anyway, the rifle ran 100% and at some time during the match, there were two objects floating around the upper and lower that shouldn't have.

I'm actually pretty impressed the damn thing ran at all. :blink:

Edited by Catfish

If you're saying your rifle ran 'cause the buffer didn't have a detent, that's not a big thing. A lot of folks run their AR's this way. However, glad it ran for you.

Rich

oh yeah - this much I know!

The neat thing to me was that the detent pin and the spring were floating around loose in the upper and lower and it still ran. ;)

Once long ago I had a so-called gunsmith intall a US made gas piston on a new AK-47 bolt carrier for my rifle (for legal compliance reasons).

The original factory installed piston would wobble and was quite loose. Well, said smith decided to "fix" what he saw as an obvious "problem" and installed the new piston tight as a drum.

Result? My previously uber-reliable AK-47 beccame a jam-o-matic! Turns out the truth is: the piston is supposed to be loose on the carrier. The Bulgarians who built the gun knew that & did it right. I had to pay for an Americn 'smith to screw it up.

It boggles my mind how many gun owners in the US are convinced their AR-15 has a "problem" because the upper/lower fit is not tight; the same perception problem applies to those who buy a Colt brand 1911 and imediately complain about the slide to frame fit - without ever firing the weapon for reliability or accuracy.

Too many equate "tight" with "quality."