Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment Question for newbie

Husker95

I shot my first ICORE match last sunday and really liked it. I have a standard 625, but no equipment; this club was very cool and let me shoot from low ready. A couple of questions for you veterans: I need a holster, and would like it to handle multiple guns if possible (625, a moon converted 686 and maybe (cash flow wiling) a 627). Is the Safariland Cup Challenge a good piece of gear? I do have a CR speed belt, so would want something that would work well with that. Would also like recommendations on moon clip holders. I will likely only be shooting ICORE. Sorry if i am repeating a question, but i used the search function and couldnt find anything for my situation. Thanks guys!

Husker95

The 002 Cup Challenge was my first holster and worked great on all my IPSC/PPC/ICORE revos (Taurus 608, S&W 14,27, 64, 66,686,627,& 629s) I since have switched to a better holster in retention for my 5" 625 and 627 with BladeTec.

They also make some awesome Tek-Lok full moon clip holders that you put just 2 rounds in and they are very fast to reload from. I have 5 of these and it holds 40 rounds for my 627 and 30 for my 625 (these are 2 different styles) I still have my Safariland 002 but it is modified for a longer 7" Shilen bbl revo with a built in comp that I only shoot steel with.

The 002 is not a bad option, and will hold pretty much any revolver you might want to shoot in competition with minimal (or no) adjustment. The CR Speed revolver holster is great to have, but quite expensive. A blindingly-quick draw is not a critical issue in USPSA or ICORE--if you think about it, you're only going to draw the gun a few times at each match.

The only moonclip holder I can recommend with absolutely no reservation is the North Mountain moonclip holder. Plenty of information about that product is available here on the forum--they are truly the hot ticket for competitive wheelgunning.

Good luck!

I shot my first ICORE match last sunday and really liked it. I have a standard 625, but no equipment; this club was very cool and let me shoot from low ready. A couple of questions for you veterans: I need a holster, and would like it to handle multiple guns if possible (625, a moon converted 686 and maybe (cash flow wiling) a 627). Is the Safariland Cup Challenge a good piece of gear? I do have a CR speed belt, so would want something that would work well with that. Would also like recommendations on moon clip holders. I will likely only be shooting ICORE. Sorry if i am repeating a question, but i used the search function and couldnt find anything for my situation. Thanks guys!

Husker95

Not to drift your thread too much, but you are really die hard fan after the season Ne has had this yr...

Thanks guys - i appreciate the advice.

TL, yes it has been a tough year. But i'm optimisitic about the future. If the Sooners (damn them eternally) can go through what they did in the early 90s and come out this strong - we will be back as well. And yes, im pretty die-hard. The last beat of my heart will pump Husker Red. Long live the Corn.