Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making minor with factory .233 and 16 in barrel

chp5

Hi,

I use a Bushmaster .223 with a 16 inch barrel.  

Any of you guys know which factory loads make minor in a 16 inch barrel?  I don't load .223 myself.

Thanks for your recommendations.

In a 16" barrel, I would check it over a chronograph, just to be sure. It can be a very close thing in short barrels.

You need to get over 2910 fps with a 55 grain projectile to make minor in USPSA rifle (55x2910=160050, 160000=minor).

BTW, I have never seen rifle get chrono'd at any match I have ever been to. You would probably have a few folks shooting for no score if they ever did ;~)

Regards,

Thanks for the replies.

George - I was worried about the same thing (making major with a sub-20 inch barrell).  Even though they usually don't have a chrono stage, I'd like to keep it "legal."

I just happen to have some Woinchester Q3131A, so I'll take it out and put it thru a chrono.

Another BTW.

I recently tried some cheap PMC (white box, red lettering) 55gr ball to see if it was worth using as plinking ammo, and I found the whole batch (1/2 case) was doing 2800fps out of my 20" JP, and 2875fps out of my 20" Colt HBAR. Most factory 55gr ball gets from 3150-3250 in those rifles. Go figure.

Regards,