Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vision and Accuracy

JimmyZip

I was driving home last night and noticed that my right eye does not see as clearly for distance as does my left. As I am right-handed I was wondering if it was possible to train your left eye to do your sighting. I was recently checked by an eye doctor and he says I'm 20/20 in my right and 20/15 in my left. ( I hope I explained that correctly) So while I see well enough with my right eye, because my left sees better, was wondering if there was any benefit or detriment to try and train it to be my sighting eye as it is already fairly dominant in all other aspects.

We need to know what eye is dominate. But the answer to your question is yes. You have to start with training your brain and it will do as you ask. Just be careful what you ask it to do.

I shoot left eye /right hand it doesn't seam to hold me back that much. Switching to shooting rifle and shotgun slowed me down, on the learning curve

Jimmy Zip,

20/15 is not necessarily better for the front sight than 20/20. How old are you? Shooters over 45 with 20/20 or better vision will find the front sight harder and harder to get into sharp focus.

As you age that difference between 20/20 and 20/15 may mean a year or two before you need a front sight lens.

I have been shooting with a bifocal segment in the top part of my lens for sometime (several years) and find it the ticket to correcting for presbyopia (aging eyes, arms too short, or whatever you call it).

It is my opinion that you should shoot dominant eye same side hand if possible.

It is my opinion that you should shoot dominant eye same side hand if possible.

I agree. If the front sight is in focus and you can switch your vision from far to near quickly, count your blessings. Frankly, I would rather be able to see the front sight than be able to see holes in the target at 25 yards.