Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf primers for 9mm Major...

SLM

I was reading through a bunch of threads on Wolf primers but can't seem to find much about using them in an Open gun for Major. Small pistol, small rifle? I was thinking about ordering some before the price on these goes up also. Thanks!

Sorry I am late getting here, damn internet traffic. Always seems to be busy this time of morning.

I tested 100 primers in my 9 Major and they seemed to work just fine, at least I could not notice the difference.

If I remember they were Small Pistol Primers.

Alan

I have shot 1,000 PMC Small Rifle Primers in my 9mm Major pistol built by JPL Precision. [Win.case, 124gr CMJ Mt. Gold, 7.8gr Silouhette] and while I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, they chronographed very close to the 100 loaded cartridges John Larson [JPL] gave me to get started - the only difference was

that his used Winchester SR primers and mine used the PMC.

It's been a few months since I got the pistol [i'm a new pistol shooter and I haven't used it in competition yet], but it is a really cool Open gun, beautiful to look at and wonderful to shoot. I highly recommend John to anyone who wants a 9mm Major pistol built.

I've been told that the PMC and Wolf primers are the same. My PMCs have Russian writing on them - I was lucky enough to find a few sleeves of them in the storage room of a gun store and got a screamin price on them.

Edited by WillM

Good information. Thanks! Alan, did you notice any primer flow with the small pistol primers? It seems they are softer than the Winchester small pistol so I'd think they are quite a bit softer than the Winchester small rifles that most seem to use/like.

Thanks Will!

Good information. Thanks! Alan, did you notice any primer flow with the small pistol primers? It seems they are softer than the Winchester small pistol so I'd think they are quite a bit softer than the Winchester small rifles that most seem to use/like.

Thanks Will!

I did not notice any primer flow.

Alan