Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oversize cylinder hole

coldchar

I found on my performance cente 38 super that one of the cyclinder holes, forward end toward the barrel, is oversize as compared to all the other cyclinder holes. Bullets up to and including .358 diameter free fall all the way thru the cyclinder. Is this a problem? I occasionally have had keyhole rounds and am wondering if this could be the cause? :mellow::mellow:

Barrel diameter is important, as is bullet diameter. If one or more of the other holes is too small, or the barrel is too large, keyholing can occur.

You might consider slugging your barrel and getting an actual measurement on the rest of the cylinder.

Barrel diameter is important, as is bullet diameter. If one or more of the other holes is too small, or the barrel is too large, keyholing can occur.

You might consider slugging your barrel and getting an actual measurement on the rest of the cylinder.

From prior slugging I can tell you the barrel diameter is .355

Which exact model do you have? Is it the 8 shooter? Does it do this with cast, plated or jacketed bullets? What diameter bullets are you using? You will need to determine the exact dimensions of your bore and cylinder throats. This is a common problem with their .38 Super revolvers.

Dave Sinko

Which exact model do you have? Is it the 8 shooter? Does it do this with cast, plated or jacketed bullets? What diameter bullets are you using? You will need to determine the exact dimensions of your bore and cylinder throats. This is a common problem with their .38 Super revolvers.

Dave Sinko

Thanks for the time to respond to me. -When you say it is a common problem I am assuming you are referring to the occasional Keyhole. I think I remembering reading that S&W sent these IDPA performance guns to Germany for barrel installation. The rifling does not seem as deep as my Barsto and other barrels and my guess is it is designed for jacketed rounds. I try to get by by using plated rounds but the jacket is pretty soft and my guess does not hang in the rifling very well. Is this consistent with your experience?

What I can tell you is it is the Performance center six banger originally prepared for IDPA. I use the 151 gr Ranier RN .356 behind 3.4 to 3.5 gr Tightgroup. This normally gives me about 900-950 pfs in this gun.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up to this thread I started. I sent my 38 super back to S&W with a cover letter explaining the problem of the oversize throad on one of my cylinder holes. I have to admit I did my best to butter up the letter and to emphasize that I shot competitively and the cylinder was causing me problems at the worst times. I also mentioned the advice I received from this forum. My thanks to all.

Anyway, I got the gun back with a brand new cylinder and no charge. They even returned the old cylinder. The cylinder I received was perfect, the holes were even polished without any visible tool marks. I could not be happier with both the gun and Smith & Wesson.