Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fingers turn black after shooting

Full Size

Ok, I admit....a weird title but here it is.....

After every shooting session my fingers (both hands) are black with a suit/carbon looking gunk. I assume it is caused from my reloads. I load .45acp, 230gr bullets (precission and Zero FMJ), Clays 3.9gr, CCI primers with mixed head stamps. Also, the COL length is 1.250. Lastly, My brass is tumbled and washed everytime I load it. I always heard Clays shoots clean. What could I be doing wrong or what may be causing this?

Are you shooting a revolver? If all your fingers are black, it is due to handling the bullets while loading your moonclips. If the ends of your thumbs are black, it is due to crud from the barrel-cylinder gap.

Clays shoots reasonably clean with moly-coated bullets. For cleanest results w/230gr bullets in .45 acp, use N-310.

Chris

The Zero load you listed is probably running on the light side of 170PF and with mixed head stamps is probably not sealing the chamber the same every time causing blowback around the case. Check the fired cases for burnt powder on one side of the case. For some reason Clays shows this problem even in shotgun shells that are not adequately crimped. My 4.0 load w/230 Berry in the Revo runs 166-167 & shows the same black smudges but there is not unburned powder which is the only clean I worry about.