Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wife says I can get my kids a .22lr for Christmas.

Cuz

Wow,

Thanks for all the input. I will check out many different models, but I think that with proper teaching the 10/22 should be plenty safe if we load one round at a time. It's easy enough to pickup up a half-dozen mags and just load one round in each one. Doesn't the bolt lock open after you fire the one round? I'm very big on safety, but I also believe that you can teach safety with any gun as long as you pay attention and emphasize the basic rules of gun safety. I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing why anything would be that much better than the Ruger. The only thing I would do is install the peep sight that Ruger sells instead of the stock sights.

I guess right now, the Ruger Junior model is at the top of my list. I'll take a trip to a few places to see what else they offer and decide if anything looks like it may be a better choice. Thanks again for all the input, please don't think I don't appreciate it just because I may not be going with a bolt action or single shot. Right now I'm still processing all the inputs...

-Cuz.

While a stock 10/22 is a fun .22 to go to the range and “plink” I do not think it will take long for your boys to get bored with its lack luster out of the box accuracy. I coach 3 position air rifle and small bore to youth and have instructed many a youngster that has 10/22’s. Once they start to improve with a sporter or target bolt gun the 10/22’s come out for blasting not for target shooting. I recommend any of the CZ .22 models. I also have shot a few Russian TOZ .22 rifles and they are amazing accurate and about $150 with a adjustable trigger to boot! I just sold one to one of my shooters and he is shooting eggs with no problem past 50 yards. God help the squirrels in his sights! For safety, no worry of jamming, inherent accuracy and ease of proper cleaning (from the chamber to the muzzle) it is hard to beat a bolt rifle.

Edited by theJH

While a stock 10/22 is a fun .22 to go to the range and “plink” I do not think it will take long for your boys to get bored with its lack luster out of the box accuracy.

I'd have to argue that point. My 10-22 was VERY accurate out of the box. It is quite capable a "dinging" quarters at 50yrds (I have the dented quarters to prove it!)

The aftermarket barrel has made it even more so!

As for proper cleaning, the 10-22 is a cinch to disasemble and clean.... Just takes a little practice. Easy to clean breach to muzzle.

That said, I think a bolt gun would be a better choice.... Like I said, my 6yo is getting one this summer (bolt gun, not 10-22).

JMHO

BIlly

-Cuz, the 10/22 doe not have a last shot bolt hold open, only manually operated. There is a company that makes a kit to do so, but it's rather expensive.

I have to agree that the 10/22 is pretty horrible out of the box in terms of accuracy. Most of which is due to the barrels on the cheaper models, and part of it is due to the ~7-8lb trigger... But, the barrel is easily replaced with a $90 bull barrel from GM, some stock work and a $30 VQ hammer to get the trigger around 3lbs (probably not the best for teaching the kids until they can utilize it).

Safety first. Get the single-shot bolt gun. Enforce gun safety with a vengeance. As in: you f-up, and you *will* sit in the truck while the rest of us have fun until we're done. Tough, but effective.

After the boys prove themselves, they get to upgrade. Make the 10/22 a reward.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Fan of the CZ blot guns here. Also, I thought Mossberg made a bolt gun (Model 3000??) that was intended for biathalon & they have "summer biathalon" in many places where you run a woodland course instead of skiing, then shoot. Might be a fun sport for kids & could even lead to the olympics some day - who knows?

The 10/22 is the reward for being safe.

Thanks for all the replies. I really do appreciate them. I've decided to go with the youth model Ruger 10/22CRR. I figure I can put a set of peep sights on it to make it easier to shoot if I want. I'm looking at the Williams WGRS-RU22 Guide Receiver Peep Sight Set with Fire Sight. That will give it a fiber optic front sight so it will match all of "dads" pistols.

Now I have to decide if I should get them one gun to share, or should I pick up a pair to give them each their own. Any thoughts?

-Cuz.